Author Topic: Which way does carriage bolt go on battery hold-down clamp?  (Read 4585 times)

Offline sdgrant

Which way does carriage bolt go on battery hold-down clamp?
« on: April 30, 2013, 01:20:04 PM »
After several years of searching, I finally got a correct '64.5 battery hold-down clamp with the centering tab with the original attaching bolt! I'll finish painting it semi-gloss black today, but which way does the bolt mount? Rounded head up or down?
Steve Grant
MCA Certified Judge, '64½ - '66 class
1964½ Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car coupe

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Which way does carriage bolt go on battery hold-down clamp?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 03:27:54 PM »
I don't believe it gets a carriage bolt. I had an original picture where the bolt was a stud w/retainer, then nut on the top of the clamp. The stud w/retainer fits perfect in the Battery tray. I will look for the pic.
Dave
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 03:38:36 PM »
After several years of searching, I finally got a correct '64.5 battery hold-down clamp with the centering tab with the original attaching bolt! I'll finish painting it semi-gloss black today, but which way does the bolt mount? Rounded head up or down?

For everyones info there is a member on here named Dave that lives in Sebastian, Florida who has VERY successfully "made" the repro battery hold down clamps for the 24F batteries more correct by adding the centering tab-these look fantastic, he starts with the better quality Drake part.

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 03:53:12 PM »
Ok here are the pics I have,  one pic of an original clamp, pic from osborn manual, and pic from MPC. I did bring this up once before and I believe C. Turner told me that all factory cars he had knowledge of, had the carriage bolt and not the stud w/clip.

Dave

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:01:49 PM by Twilight65 »
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 04:28:15 PM »
The correct attaching hardware for the standard battery is as you show, a thin flat head bolt (stud) with a clip. The factory installed bolt, 380582-S2 5/16-18X2 in L, is documented in the body manuals, AM0001 pg 9, AM0006 pg 9 and AM0011 pg 9. The nut may have been what was questioned as it was the same as the spring shield (aka bumper mount for A-arm), 55736-S2, but a different type with a disc washer may have been found. For the heavy duty battery option, the same stud-clip as the fenders used at the rear to the front quarter was used. It's shorter. I've found many of those standard battery stud-clips and almost all were eaten away by battery acid, same for the hold down bracket. The acid effect may have prompted a replacing of the stud-clip and original nut with a carriage bolt and whatever nut was available. The battery tray looks like it was designed for a carriage bolt but for ease of assembly, the stud-clip was used. 
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 07:08:21 PM »
There were several variations of fasteners used.  Probably best to note assembly period and plant to try and give the best answer.

The most common I have seen is the carriage bolt, flat tip with an securing nut to hold it to the battery tray.  The clamp slides down over the bolt and a flared base nut secures the clamp down.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline PraireBronze

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 08:22:29 PM »
There were several variations of fasteners used.  Probably best to note assembly period and plant to try and give the best answer.

How about for an October '64, San Jose, 24F battery?
- Tim -

1965 Prairie Bronze 2+2 (under construction)
Build Oct '64 San Jose
289 4V Automatic Transmission (A-code clone :P )
Black Std Interior
AC, PS, Style Steels, 1" Drop, Konis
Aluminized 2 1/4 Exhaust, Tri-Ys

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 10:59:20 PM »
My 4500 mile Aug 65 coupe with heavey duty battery option has a carriage bolt.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline PraireBronze

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 01:51:29 AM »
How about for an October '64, San Jose, 24F battery?

Anybody?
- Tim -

1965 Prairie Bronze 2+2 (under construction)
Build Oct '64 San Jose
289 4V Automatic Transmission (A-code clone :P )
Black Std Interior
AC, PS, Style Steels, 1" Drop, Konis
Aluminized 2 1/4 Exhaust, Tri-Ys

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 08:40:56 AM »
For everyones info there is a member on here named Dave that lives in Sebastian, Florida who has VERY successfully "made" the repro battery hold down clamps for the 24F batteries more correct by adding the centering tab-these look fantastic, he starts with the better quality Drake part.

He must be keeping it a secret because I haven't found any clamps with the tab other than those that were cast in aluminum on the West Coast.  Do you have contact info?
Jim
'66 GT FB