Author Topic: Steering Wheels  (Read 6300 times)

Offline koski19

Steering Wheels
« on: April 30, 2013, 11:27:10 PM »
Can cracked steering wheels be repair/refurbished? Also, does anyone have a technique to take out dings and dents in trim pieces or is this best left to metal refinishers..

As always Thanks......jeff

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Steering Wheels
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 11:50:05 PM »
Steering wheels can be repaired (with epoxy) then refinished. Believe Mustang Monthly has done how to articles at least a couple of times over the years

As far as repairing trim  general its not a do it at home thing - at least not all of it.  You'll need to strip the anodizing, removed damage, sand and polish then re-anodize

If you have allot of time and patiences you can repair and send it out for replating. Did that on some of my trim (on the 71 Cougar) last year. Since I don't do it often it took allot of additional time (read days) and I would have been better off having someone else do the job IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 11:54:45 PM »
For steering wheels, you don't really want to try and fix cracks larger than 1/16".  They most likely will just crack up again and you'll have a tough time duplicating contours with big cracks.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 03:03:55 AM »
There is several guys out there that repair steering wheels, pricing doesnt seem too bad for the wheels I have sent in.  This includes doing the woodgrain if needed depending on year.  Agree with Jeff your time is probably better spent on other things unless this is the only project you have going on. 

This is who I use as they are located in Phoenix:
http://www.therimblowbuddy.com/
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline koski19

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 09:46:43 AM »
Steering wheels can be repaired (with epoxy) then refinished. Believe Mustang Monthly has done how to articles at least a couple of times over the years

As far as repairing trim  general its not a do it at home thing - at least not all of it.  You'll need to strip the anodizing, removed damage, sand and polish then re-anodize

If you have allot of time and patiences you can repair and send it out for replating. Did that on some of my trim (on the 71 Cougar) last year. Since I don't do it often it took allot of additional time (read days) and I would have been better off having someone else do the job IMHO

Reading back, I guess I wasn't too clear on what I was referring to. I was thinking more on trim pieces such as window trim, hub caps etc. I haven't spent any time trying to restore the original piece..Hub caps get those stone nicks and dings in them. I'd like to know the process of taking these dings and dents out.
I would assume a body hammer and dolly?.....Time consuming? Is it worth the trouble or replace with replicated parts or NOS?

jeff

Offline koski19

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 09:47:20 AM »
There is several guys out there that repair steering wheels, pricing doesnt seem too bad for the wheels I have sent in.  This includes doing the woodgrain if needed depending on year.  Agree with Jeff your time is probably better spent on other things unless this is the only project you have going on. 

This is who I use as they are located in Phoenix:
http://www.therimblowbuddy.com/

Thanks for the link....I've got it in favorites.

Jeff

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:47:29 PM »
Are the cracks here to far gone, I think I know the answer but just need to hear it from someone else...

Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 10:52:36 PM »
imo...yes.
5F09C331248

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 12:17:53 AM »
imo...yes.

+1 , that wheel is not worth fixing

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 02:39:08 AM »
imo...yes.
+1 , that wheel is not worth fixing
thanks guys, my next question, are the reproduction wheels any good, or should I look out for a good 2nd hand one or perhaps a NOS?
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline koski19

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 09:29:02 AM »
My steering wheel has 5 cracks and one of them is way larger than 1/4".  I looked at one link mentioned above yesterday and it could run upwards to $500 to repair a steering wheel from what I read. One would need to call and talk with a tech rep. I'll start looking for a good rebuild candidate.

Jeff

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 12:40:23 PM »
1/4" cracks?  Throw it away, seriously.  Not worth fixing at all. 

As far as replacement, a super nice original or NOS would be first choice and then repro after that.  Repro might need to be painted to match correctly.

Offline koski19

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 01:57:28 PM »

As far as replacement, a super nice original or NOS would be first choice and then repro after that.  Repro might need to be painted to match correctly.

That's what Jeff said too...and I would need to agree...Thanks for all the responses......jeff

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 11:28:45 AM »

How does the paint hold up on steering wheels?  Mine is cracked and finding a NOS ivy gold interior steering wheel (dark green) probably won'y happen.  And judging by the pictures on the website  the Scott Drake equivalent won't come close to the color...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 12:13:46 PM »
How does the paint hold up on steering wheels?  Mine is cracked and finding a NOS ivy gold interior steering wheel (dark green) probably won'y happen.  And judging by the pictures on the website  the Scott Drake equivalent won't come close to the color...

If you use rattle can paint, expect the wheel to chip/scuff easily and having to repaint every year or so.  If you go with a quality catalyzed paint, like single stage urethane, it will hold up very well.

Would suggest to have a pro shop do this for you or get the color custom mixed at a paint store and do it yourself.  The steering wheels will be a bit more glossy than the interior paint.  This can be achieved by adding less flattening/matting agent.