Author Topic: 1965 200 CID correct Valve cover color ?  (Read 1108 times)

Offline DanG

1965 200 CID correct Valve cover color ?
« on: January 19, 2016, 09:05:46 PM »
Hello All,
 Long time lurker, first time poster tonight.
A genuine "thank you" to everyone who shares so much information and experience here, I've learned an awful lot from reading the site.
 My 1965 Metuchen 6 cyl coupe rebuild is stalled during the cold weather now, so I'm focusing on some engine bits.
 I've stripped the valve cover and painted it red with Duplicolor  DE 1605 "Ford Red" paint. While its a great looking color, my original air cleaner is much more of an orange color. I'm almost thinking "Chevy Orange" would look more correct than the DE 1605.
 I've tried searching the forum but cannot find any suggestions, could anyone shed some light on the proper color ?
Thank you all for your time,
DanG

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1965 200 CID correct Valve cover color ?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 12:08:22 AM »
The proper color is an orange-red, I don't have a paint code handy, but most any of the Mustang parts places will sell a close match to original in a spray can.  If you prefer to spray with a gun, I'm sure others may know the paint code.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 02:42:50 PM »
Using an original untouched '65 Valve Cover; allowing for some discoloration, this is as close as I've managed to come to the original color.

After relieving the pressure, I mixed Orange and Red from two Spray Cans, Dupli-Color DE-1622 & 1605 and experimented. I did not keep track of the ratio, although, if I had to guess, it was around 2 parts of Orange to 1 part of Red.

You can see some comparison in color by looking at the Red on the Inverter below the valve Cover.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline DanG

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 11:37:53 AM »
Thank you both.
 I'm still experimenting too.
 I just had to shovel 20" of snow this weekend on Long Island so I lost a little time .
DanG