Author Topic: 69 Side Scoop Question  (Read 12292 times)

Offline Brett

69 Side Scoop Question
« on: April 03, 2010, 04:20:41 PM »
Hi,  Can anyone post a picture of a 69 FB with the side scoop removed.  The quarters on my car were replaced and I would like to see how the scoop is mounted (holes), how the quarter is trimmed for the interior box and duct and how the interior box on the inside is mounted.

Thanks,
Brett

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Side Scoop Question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:01:20 AM »
Brett all I have is a somewhat dark shot from inside.

Lined the edge with strip chalk - and used two screws to attach the scoop to the center brace in the quarter panel cut out (where the fastback Mustang side scoop would mount in)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brett

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:33:47 AM »
Thanks Jeff!  This pic does help out a lot.

Brett

Offline 1970shelbyguy

69/70 shelby quarter panel side scoops
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 01:33:36 PM »
are the mounting screws for the side scoops left natural or are they painted body color.  car is grabber blue  thanks
1970 gt500  grabber blue  june/69     1970  boss 302  metuchen  dec/69

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69/70 shelby quarter panel side scoops
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 05:27:24 PM »
are the mounting screws for the side scoops left natural or are they painted body color.  car is grabber blue  thanks
They were hand touched up body color at AO Smith. Because the plated screw head was not prepared in anyway before being painted the paint typically flaked off in short order.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline VikingNJ

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 04:56:12 PM »
Does anyone know the ford part number for the side scoop front mounting screws and also the screws that mount the two small clips to the quarter panel that slip into the two slots at the rear of the side scoop.  :)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 10:19:49 PM »
Does anyone know the ford part number for the side scoop front mounting screws and also the screws that mount the two small clips to the quarter panel that slip into the two slots at the rear of the side scoop.  :)

I don't have the side scoop drawing in the assembly manual that shows those details - unlike other parts of the assembly so not sure if they were ever assigned a Ford hardware number

Forward screws for the side  (lower) scoops for 68 installation was 53039-S2
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 10:24:10 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline VikingNJ

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 01:06:30 AM »
J_Speegle: Thanks.

Could someone possibly have or take a photo of the front mounting screw and scoop rear mounting clip mounting screw. I could possible match it up with something. A question, who assembled side scoops on car, ford or a o smith. Would the 69/70 shelby "add/delete sheets" maybe tell me?

Thanks for your help.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 02:38:19 AM »
Could someone possibly have or take a photo of the front mounting screw and scoop rear mounting clip mounting screw. I could possible match it up with something.

No one will see the ones that hold the clips so I doubt detail may be that important to the finished product - I know I don't have a picture of the car we finished last before we added the scoops on. As for the front screws I should have some pictures that at least show the head detail

A question, who assembled side scoops on car, ford or a o smith. Would the 69/70 shelby "add/delete sheets" maybe tell me?

Scoops were added at AO Smith
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 11:29:56 AM »
J_Speegle: Thanks.

Could someone possibly have or take a photo of the front mounting screw and scoop rear mounting clip mounting screw. I could possible match it up with something. A question, who assembled side scoops on car, ford or a o smith. Would the 69/70 shelby "add/delete sheets" maybe tell me?

Thanks for your help.
I have only seen conventional build sheets for a 69/70 Shelby. I have not talked to or heard of anyone who has ever found any for 69/70 in a car only the conventional Mustang build sheet. If you have some 69/70 Shelby Add /Delete sheets that would be a real trick item to share.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 01:57:13 AM »
All of my AO Smith fiberglass parts have a part number, except the side scoops. Are they supposed to have a part number? The back if mine are rough, you can see the strands. They are thick, and I have no reason to believe they are not original. But as I was looking at mine vs other cars, the tale end of mine do not see to be as high as what I see in photos of others. I have tried to see if I can fit them higher up, but they do not fit the curves of the panel at all. Both my rear quarters are Dynacorn replacements, but I have photos that show the scoops shortly after I purchased the car in 1981 and they look to be in the same place.

Now...

in  1992

Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 12:33:55 PM »
All of my AO Smith fiberglass parts have a part number, except the side scoops. Are they supposed to have a part number? The back if mine are rough, you can see the strands. They are thick, and I have no reason to believe they are not original. But as I was looking at mine vs other cars, the tale end of mine do not see to be as high as what I see in photos of others. I have tried to see if I can fit them higher up, but they do not fit the curves of the panel at all. Both my rear quarters are Dynacorn replacements, but I have photos that show the scoops shortly after I purchased the car in 1981 and they look to be in the same place.

The factory scoops were injection molded (no strands) and they would have the engineering number on the inside. They typically were pink when bare from the factory and early service.

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 01:02:55 PM »
When I sand into them, the area sanded turns smooth white. I'll get a picture of the back side today.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 02:31:57 PM »
So I was just searching the WEB to see if anyone might have posted a picture of the back side of a 1969 Shelby Fastback side scoop (no luck there) but found this over at the diyford.com site. These look more like my scoops. Note the way the top back of the scoop drops from the upper quarter body line, and yes, the rear quarter body line does rise at the back of the scoop.

Whereas on other cars the back of the scoop looks more squared off, does not drop.

Is this just an illusion due to the different angles?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »
Is this just an illusion due to the different angles?

Considering that the web is a two dimensional medium compounded by looking at restored cars that may have replacement quarters and possibly allot of other work to body and scoops I think its difficult to compare. One reason I held back posting a dozen of examples of even unrestored cars.

Sorry I don't have a close up of the back side to share

Jeff Speegle