Author Topic: Cleaning - '70 Windshield Washer Reservoir  (Read 1043 times)

Offline 69supercj

Cleaning - '70 Windshield Washer Reservoir
« on: January 06, 2020, 12:41:45 PM »
I've got a really nice, for used, plastic reservoir that has the date code still intact. I've never seen a date coded reservoir before but its a little bit dirty and slightly yellowed but really not much. Whats a good way to clean this WITHOUT removing the ink stamp? I did a search I didn't find much other then some differing opinions on bleach, peroxide, ect. Thanks for any and all help? P.S. I'm wondering if the solution that people use to restore build sheets would work and if so, what is that solution?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 02:33:26 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Re: Cleaning '70 Windshield Washer Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 01:26:54 PM »
I used a good name-brand dish washer liquid to clean mine. It didn't eliminate all of the yellowing, but it cleaned it significantly. A word of caution - mine did not have the ink stamp...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 02:33:46 PM by J_Speegle »
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Cleaning - '70 Windshield Washer Reservoir
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 02:37:49 PM »
Have not heard of any new ground shaking discoveries as to cleaning the bottles or reducing the discoloration from age and heat. Understand that you would like to keep the date but that and the other marking can be reproduced by restamping them if it gets in the way of making the reservoir look better.

As far as cleaning the buildsheet I'm unsure from your post if you read the thread and article (in the Library) on cleaning buildsheets. Still find wax and grease remover the best choice even though the "safe" solutions are not as strong as the older stuff was that might not be a bad thing in this case . Just takes a little longer  - remember to agitate it through the process
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 03:41:14 PM »
I have had some success with the peroxide hair bleach to remove the yellowing, but would be shocked if it remove the ink stamp as well.  Might be worth trying Meguiar's PlastX to see if that will remove the oxidized layer, that would allow you to work around the stamp.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com/

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline 69supercj

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 04:03:31 PM »
Have not heard of any new ground shaking discoveries as to cleaning the bottles or reducing the discoloration from age and heat. Understand that you would like to keep the date but that and the other marking can be reproduced by restamping them if it gets in the way of making the reservoir look better.

As far as cleaning the buildsheet I'm unsure from your post if you read the thread and article (in the Library) on cleaning buildsheets. Still find wax and grease remover the best choice even though the "safe" solutions are not as strong as the older stuff was that might not be a bad thing in this case . Just takes a little longer  - remember to agitate it through the process

The ink stamp looks fairly generic and shouldn't be that hard to re-stamp. Is there a stamp out there that people are using or should I just go to Wally world or say Office Depot and look there?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 06:25:51 PM »
The ink stamp looks fairly generic and shouldn't be that hard to re-stamp. Is there a stamp out there that people are using or should I just go to Wally world or say Office Depot and look there?
Exact match up letters and numbers with what you have access to. It wasn't to hard for me but that was 15+ years ago so I can only assume that with a little effort it still can be done . Worst case a stamp company can make it up custom.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 02:32:00 PM »

You can get a stamp custom made (doesn't cost that much if you have a contact though quick shipping adds to the bottom line) if you want to return the exact same number to the part once its cleaned.  Allot of cleaning processes work from the inside of the jug since that is where allot of the residue related to discoloration often is.  Yes you can get a local stamp company to make something up but may be more expensive and the fonts will likely me more modern. Most places don't deal with photo ready art for stamps and always want to make it "better".

Normally there is an additional number (may be assembler or for other identification purpose) on the main body also.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 02:47:22 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 04:33:26 PM »

The solvent-based wax and grease removers were banned from Phoenix a while back and I used the replacement, which I didn't realize was water-based until it disintegrated my build sheet.  :'(
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 05:08:26 PM »
The solvent-based wax and grease removers were banned from Phoenix a while back and I used the replacement, which I didn't realize was water-based until it disintegrated my build sheet.  :'(

Ouch

For others reading this it can be a good idea to cut a corner (lower one without any info printed on it) to test the solution you've chosen to use before you do your complete sheet. Just as you would do on painted parts if applying something new or different you wanted to try out.
Jeff Speegle