Author Topic: 65-69 Starter Details  (Read 4359 times)

Offline dkknab

Re: 65-69 Starter Details
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2023, 08:38:19 PM »
Here's another picture. I started to clean off the flange. I could see there was a line just above the lower bolt. Is that because the starter was all painted black except that area to ensure it was grounded or was that not the case? The flange area cleaned up easily so I wonder if it was just grease ore was it all painted black?
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2023, 10:56:50 PM »
Here's another picture. I started to clean off the flange. I could see there was a line just above the lower bolt. Is that because the starter was all painted black except that area to ensure it was grounded or was that not the case? The flange area cleaned up easily so I wonder if it was just grease ore was it all painted black?
Typically there is more paint on the flange. Typically a car as late as yours will have the engineering number metal stamped into the case. It will be very evident one way or the other when you take the starter out and clean it up.  The starter cable loose and the two bolts loosened and it is out.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dkknab

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2023, 10:17:13 AM »
You were correct Bob. The starter was easy to get out. After taking off the wire and 2 bolts it dropped - I didn't mean literally though it was heavy - right out. I've cleaned it up some and posted some pictures. I am guessing mine is one that doesn't need a white stamp as I was reading during the 68 year there were starters with stamps and some without. Looks like my date code is 8D1C which would be 1968 April 1st, 3rd or C shift.

Also while there is a lot of paint evident on the body, there is none on the flange or at least very little evidence at all. It's hard to tell from the grease that was on the starter.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2023, 11:44:28 AM »
You were correct Bob. The starter was easy to get out. After taking off the wire and 2 bolts it dropped - I didn't mean literally though it was heavy - right out. I've cleaned it up some and posted some pictures. I am guessing mine is one that doesn't need a white stamp as I was reading during the 68 year there were starters with stamps and some without. Looks like my date code is 8D1C which would be 1968 April 1st, 3rd or C shift.

Also while there is a lot of paint evident on the body, there is none on the flange or at least very little evidence at all. It's hard to tell from the grease that was on the starter.
There is not much paint left on the center barrel section now ether ;) . There was not clear cut line of paint demarcation between the center barrel section and the nose cone unlike the numerous examples of starters that had varying amounts of paint from a little to a lot on the nose cone. Given the reason the starters were painted so that the metal surface would not rust and the way the starters were painted assembled it would be unreasonable to expect no overspray on to the nose cone IMO.  FYI when you reinstall the starter be careful to make sure it is fully seated in the hole otherwise you risk breaking off a mounting ear when you tighten down and the teeth will not fully engage the flex plate teeth which will result in damage to the starter and the flex plate. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2023, 11:58:20 AM »
It should literally fall out.

The stamping is either ink or stamped into the housing depending on the year

Offline dkknab

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2023, 02:59:33 PM »
Any need to use high temperature paint on the starter?
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2023, 03:32:45 PM »
no, i do not believe so.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2023, 06:40:26 PM »
................I am guessing mine is one that doesn't need a white stamp as I was reading during the 68 year there were starters with stamps and some without. Looks like my date code is 8D1C which would be 1968 April 1st, 3rd or C shift.

Correct as we've seen earlier in this thread and others. If it has the stamping into the case there was no need for the ink identification

Paint does not stick as well to aluminum as evident on other parts like timing covers and aluminum water pumps. And its not like we don't have factory pictures of starters to document this practice :)

Thanks for the pictures it helps narrow down the change over from ink to stamped in metal identification
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)