Author Topic: Detailing PCV tube  (Read 4339 times)

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
Detailing PCV tube
« on: August 06, 2014, 02:21:16 PM »
I know the metal PCV tube is painted on my 390 4V, along with the longer hose and clamps to the PCV valve, but what about the short hose and two clamps to the manifold vacuum tree?  Is that short hose and the two clamps also painted?  Thanks!
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Detailing PCV tube
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 06:30:21 PM »
Believe the short hose and attachment fitting to the intake were in place when engine was painted.

Mike can you remind me where you car was built. Finding a handful of Dearborn built S codes using no clamps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 07:11:15 PM »
Mine is a Jersey car, April 27, 1967.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 02:13:50 AM »
Ok ignore the Dearborn comment - though I would expect that sometime in the future some member will bring up the subject :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 11:21:47 PM »
Ok ignore the Dearborn comment - though I would expect that sometime in the future some member will bring up the subject :)

Is this "future" enough?  ::)   There's bits and pieces of discussion in various threads regarding clamps on the PCV hoses. Is there any consensus or general pattern to usage of the wire-style clamps on big block PCV assemblies for '67-'68? I have somehow ended up with several assemblies in my collection, but not enough data to determine a pattern Here's what I've found on mine:

1) '67 390GT (GTA car), plant unknown. Clamps on long hose, no clamps on short hose. (Assembly is connected to intake in photo)
2) '68 390GT, plant unknown. Clamps on long hose, but not on compensator, only on extreme ends, also has clamps on short hose.
3) Year and plant unknown. No clamps on either hose.
4) Year and plant unknown. Clamps on long use, short hose is missing. (Assembly is on the left in photo, laying on valve cover)

Not a lot to go on, especially #3 & #4. All hoses appear to be original, and ones marked "no clamps" show zero evidence of any sort of depression from a clamp.

Personally I need to know what is typical for SJ in Feb. 1968. But it would be nice to compile a comprehensive list for 67-68.

Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 11:36:02 PM »
Is this "future" enough?  ::)   There's bits and pieces of discussion in various threads regarding clamps on the PCV hoses. Is there any consensus or general pattern to usage of the wire-style clamps on big block PCV assemblies for '67-'68? I have somehow ended up with several assemblies in my collection, but not enough data to determine a pattern Here's what I've found on mine:

1) '67 390GT (GTA car), plant unknown. Clamps on long hose, no clamps on short hose. (Assembly is connected to intake in photo)
2) '68 390GT, plant unknown. Clamps on long hose, but not on compensator, only on extreme ends, also has clamps on short hose.
3) Year and plant unknown. No clamps on either hose.
4) Year and plant unknown. Clamps on long use, short hose is missing. (Assembly is on the left in photo, laying on valve cover)

Not a lot to go on, especially #3 & #4. All hoses appear to be original, and ones marked "no clamps" show zero evidence of any sort of depression from a clamp.

Personally I need to know what is typical for SJ in Feb. 1968. But it would be nice to compile a comprehensive list for 67-68.

1st Picture shows "Mercury" valve covers. Not sure that they were used after 1966. Certainly not factory on a Cougar, although some guys have used them. I believe that the FE PCV transfer tube was used starting in 1966.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 11:47:28 PM »
Is this "future" enough?  ::)   There's bits and pieces of discussion in various threads regarding clamps on the PCV hoses. Is there any consensus or general pattern to usage of the wire-style clamps on big block PCV assemblies for '67-'68? ....................................................................................

Yes the discussion can begin again - going to be rough going to find many 390's that haven't been played and to keep CJ and other years/models out of the mix

But lets where it goes.

Let's just keep the years separate, label findings with when and where and random, unknown samples are useful IMHO but can only muddy the details

Maybe there is a road test or two from period magazines that might help also- not that those cars were unaltered in every way
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 12:39:14 AM »
I know the metal PCV tube is painted on my 390 4V, along with the longer hose and clamps to the PCV valve, but what about the short hose and two clamps to the manifold vacuum tree?  Is that short hose and the two clamps also painted?  Thanks!
Typically yes the short hose and clamps was painted . Now for all of the anomalies  ;) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 01:59:52 PM »
The engine tag on my 322A is 7D.  I do not know any history on this engine, so I don't know that the paint is original.  Most of the blue paint is gone from the metal PCV tube, but some still remains just in front of the carb and behind the distributor - see white arrows.    Other sections of the tube look like some kind of plating....were these tubes plated before painting?  Any comments are welcome.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 02:22:14 PM »
were these tubes plated before painting?  Any comments are welcome.

I presume the tee was soldered or brazed in place onto the main tube. The "plating" would be an excessive amount of tinning. I'll take a closer look at the couple I have, they're missing most of the paint. Or better yet I suppose I should blast them and start refurbishing them...
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 03:30:58 PM »
After I bead blasted my tube, it looks like the tee was brazed into place. Also there was no plating present on mine.

*****************************************************************************************************

I also has some detailing questions, I had a 1967 390 my car info is down below in the signature field.

In the picture below, the areas where the yellow arrows are pointing at are painted blue plus the required spring clamps? On the second picture, is the tee also painted blue?

Thanks,
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 03:39:13 PM »
After I bead blasted my tube, it looks like the tee was brazed into place. Also there was no plating present on mine.

*****************************************************************************************************

I also has some detailing questions, I had a 1967 390 my car info is down below in the signature field.

In the picture below, the areas where the yellow arrows are pointing at are painted blue plus the required spring clamps? On the second picture, is the tee also painted blue?

Thanks,

The photo with the yellow arrows is an assembly I recently purchased at a yard. It was not on the car, so I do not know the year or the plant it came from. The remnants of paint appear to be original, but I am not 100% certain of that.
Dave Z.

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 04:32:53 PM »
I was just using your photo as an example to see what what was painted on a 1967 GTA 390 SJ Dec Build car. I assembling my 390 motor, and I need to know what needs to be painted and what doesn't.

Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 04:37:57 PM »
Not sure if the steel line was plated or not is a big detail to worry about since it gets covered with engine paint

Clamps or no clamps? appears that it depends either on the worker or the time period when the engine was assembled. Have originals both ways but not enough IMHO to establish or support a pattern right now

Since the T would have normally been in place I would suspect that at least the top and sides had paint - though the bottom possibly not - sort of like the PCV hose
Jeff Speegle

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 05:24:41 PM »
What about the brass 90 that connects to the pcv valve, is it also painted?

Thanks Jeff!!!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 05:36:35 PM by travnemi »
Travis Waters

Mine -