Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Red Dyed Hardware

<< < (2/15) > >>

J_Speegle:
Forgot the flex rear brake line to floor bracket (the flat U shaped push in retainer)  Found it red dyed on a number of Dearborn and San Jose 69s

Andrew@MagMustangs:
I'm not an expert on finishes or anything, but the seat track to seat bolts seem to be Red Anodized not red dyed. They have a bright metal look to the red instead of the dyed red like steering box bolts and such. Also the full bolt is colored, not just the head which seems typical to me on the suspension bolt heads. Please discuss.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: MagMustangs on December 27, 2012, 07:07:11 PM ---I'm not an expert on finishes or anything, but the seat track to seat bolts seem to be Red Anodized not red dyed. They have a bright metal look to the red instead of the dyed red like steering box bolts and such.
--- End quote ---

Not sure what seat belt bolts your referring to on a 70. The nuts are dyed - believe those are part of the group of parts that were tested by the lab

As far as correct terms can steel be anodized?? Though the process was only compatible with certain metals

--- Quote from: MagMustangs on December 27, 2012, 07:07:11 PM ---Also the full bolt is colored, not just the head which seems typical to me on the suspension bolt heads. Please discuss.

--- End quote ---

Suspension bolts (like the ones for the steering box) were in my experience completely dyed from one end to the other. Normally the only part still slowing the coloration  is that section protected in the frame

TLea:
Both are red dyed. When a clear zinc fastener like seat nut is red dyed it will take on a completely different appearance that a phosphated one like a steering box bolt

Andrew@MagMustangs:
I'm referring to the 6 point bolt that mounts the seat tracks to the seat frame. They have a brighter red finish then the darker red color of the seat track to floor nuts. Is that just because of the initial plating before dye?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version