Author Topic: What's the proper way to install door weatherstrips?  (Read 11866 times)

Offline RoyceP

Re: What's the proper way to install door weatherstrips?
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2023, 10:47:09 PM »
Followup to my own post.  I've decided that a redo is in order. As Jim said,  doors 3 and 4 will hopefully be better.  I've ordered some of the Herco adhesive mentioned on this thread and a new set of weatherstripping.

So I'll just like to see some pictures of a finished job if possible.  I'm a bit confused as to how the weatherstripping sits in the groove.  Should it be flush on both sides so you can't see any adhesive? I'm guessing using as little as possible adhesive too will help avoid my sloppy first go.

The door weatherstrip sits in a channel on the bottom of the door. 3M 1347 Yellow contact adhesive is what I would use. The guys in the factory did not have a lot of time to install it so there was extra adhesive visible when they got through.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2023, 06:50:33 PM »
So I'll just like to see some pictures of a finished job if possible.  I'm a bit confused as to how the weatherstripping sits in the groove.  Should it be flush on both sides so you can't see any adhesive? I'm guessing using as little as possible adhesive too will help avoid my sloppy first go.

No it looks like they used a 1/5 brush and did not mind if  some showed along the edges and at turns/corners you typically find that there didn't follow the inside corner as the bristles spread out making the turn.

Notice that most of the pictures I've posted of 68 door weatherstrip were focused on the paint pattern on the bottom of the door but do include some details

One such is titled Unrestored - Jan 68 San Jose Fastback Non-Foldown
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dkknab

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2023, 10:28:45 PM »
Passenger door done.  Herco adhesive using acid brushes and quite a bit of patience is the way to go.  I'll let you all be the judge.
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2023, 12:01:47 AM »
Passenger door done.  Herco adhesive using acid brushes and quite a bit of patience is the way to go.  I'll let you all be the judge.
I hope that you didn't buy a large amount of the Herco adhesive because what ever you haven't used yet will be hardened in the container in a week or so. Once it is exposed to the atmosphere its life span clock starts ticking.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dkknab

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2023, 09:24:47 AM »
Thanks Bob,  I recall reading that exact thing in another post so I bought 1/3 pint on Amazon. That was the smallest container I could find plus it wasn't cheap... about $19 for that small amount. Some of it oozed out in the package I'm guessing from the heat in travel.
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2023, 08:30:51 PM »
Thing its been posted earlier in the thread. Buy in small units since as offered it does not have a long shelf life once opened.  In addition ones exposed to the air the brush attached to the lid and other parts of the metal can will start rusting even in low humidity areas of the country. I always remove the brush once I open so that it does not rust and sit in the adhesive. Believe this alters the color and look of the adhesive if you use it a second time. Also over time started to, once its open, move the left over adhesive to small glass jars to minimize the amount of air in the container and reduce the contact to metal surfaces. It has helped me.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)