Author Topic: Storage Question Using a Trailer for Storage of a Car  (Read 725 times)

Offline relex

Storage Question Using a Trailer for Storage of a Car
« on: October 17, 2023, 10:37:13 AM »
My Concours GT/CS lives in an enclosed car trailer.  (No garage to keep it in)  I keep the car unchained and covered, but I do have problems sometimes from surface rust on un-protected parts, i.e. hood hinges and springs, rear leaf springs, etc.   I try to wipe them with WD-40 before storage, but still have some problems just from the moisture in the air, Condensation.

Does anyone know how to reduce this problem?  I was thinking about putting buckets of saw dust inside the trailer to try to pull moisture away from the car.  Your feed back please.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 12:33:39 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Storage Question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2023, 11:36:59 AM »
There's a wd-40 rust inhibitor, that has 'professional' on the can.  A guy did a study of all of the products like this one and the wd-40 version was the best.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 12:51:25 PM »
My Concours GT/CS lives in an enclosed car trailer.  (No garage to keep it in)
Build a garage. I'm sorry, I don't have that problem. I live in a dry environment and have two Mustangs garaged, and one (a daily driver) under a 10X30 foot tarp and a car cover.
If you have the space, a dehumidifier in the trailer would be a better choice than sawdust.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 05:02:44 PM »
If your within range of an electrical connection you could consider a dehumidifier or something that will not work the best but does need electricity some of the quart size containers of dehumidifying crystals sold through hardware stores and Amazon.

Basically same stuff used in damp basements
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline lightwtjet

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2023, 09:39:29 PM »
Temperature variations creates condensation especially on parts with more mass. What variations does the car see?
1968 CJ - Owner and paint original. Dec 67 build in Dearborn. One of 50 135 Cobra Jets. Ford engineering used it for 8 mos. to resolve problems in the 50 early car build. Ford by-passed the normal sign off to get cars to the Winternationals drag race.