Author Topic: Shelby,Cobra,Ford Parts ID and value info needed  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Bullitt4248

• 1965 C-code Mustang retirement dream
Shelby,Cobra,Ford Parts ID and value info needed
« on: October 23, 2023, 07:29:31 PM »
  My good friend passed away - he was a life long Ford/Mustang enthusiast - where on this site can I post pictures to get ideas of what they should be a fair market value ?  T-Pans , Shelby and Cobra intakes and valve covers - two weber carb manifolds , one with 4 two barrel weber carbs - one bare.
  All the proceeds go to the widow - so be nice ! 
Thanks
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 07:42:51 PM by Bullitt4248 »
Every day matters

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Parts ID and value info needed
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 08:02:29 PM »
Welcome to the site.

"What is it worth" are threads more often restricted from forums like this since they only become for sale ads and then break down to bidding wars. This is one of the reasons the sites that do have For Sale sections have the requirement (as we do) that prices must be posted with the post to eliminate this also. We carry the idea a little further by discouraging even responses in the discussion threads such as "I've got one of those I'll sell you" sort of posts since those are often followed by another offer to sell one and it takes off from there along with the discussion about the finish, proper application or remedy to the problem the thread started out on. Basically and bottom line most if not all forums stay away from this sort of thing since they don't want to become the EBay of old car parts. The only way around, and not really around the rules, is that if you can post them somewhere we do have a section titles "Seen On The Web " which would allow members to see and view a link to your page or posting somewhere and look and possibly help in that way.

Lately with the passing of friend  some of us have been discussing the challenge faced by people in your situation. What you have agreed to is honorable but very time consuming. Don't think any one solution will be the answer. Some of the more common parts you should be able to research and find for sales ads on places like the SAAC web site. Things like intakes, pans and so on. Remember prices continue to increase of many of these pieces but most of the time conditions vary

I've see some hire for a price (flat fee or percentage), people in the business to handle these things. Some if this is a high demand or quality collection, hand things over to an auction house. Others take a year to sell the collections through local and national outlets but its tough and of course there can be all sorts or memories and in turn possible drama. Good luck with your efforts and thanks for taking on the task.

Sure there will be other peoples thoughts and comments. Let's just hope it does not become a thread for sharing a bunch of stories about what went wrong or ones not connected to your current need. Will give this a day or so in the current location then move it to the Lounge since it does not directly relate to the sites focus but it will still be seen and viewed there also.

Again Welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bullitt4248

• 1965 C-code Mustang retirement dream
Re: Shelby,Cobra,Ford Parts ID and value info needed
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 08:28:53 PM »
  Thanks for the heads up - I have never done this and I am a retired 70+ years old - I wont negotiate on this site - I was just trying to find those in the know. We put a local add in the paper and got people trying to cherry pic the widow for gutter ball prices. I cancelled the ad to protect my friends widow.   Because I dont know much about the values and early original verses Ford or  after market stuff - I am learning. The Buddy bar thing is also confusing to me. I remember Tommy talking about going to the Buddy Bar facility near Fort Brag when he was in training there - had no true idea what the big deal was.
  Thanks and I hope i did not offend anyone.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 08:32:13 PM by Bullitt4248 »
Every day matters

Offline Dan Case

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 11:59:14 AM »
Vern Estes has done a significant number of estate type sales for people just wanting to liquidate collections they have no further plans for. Vern has a large client and customer base on more than one continent. (Some of the collections of ex-Shelby American employees have been liquidated by Vern.)
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 12:13:57 PM »
Vern Estes has done a significant number of estate type sales for people just wanting to liquidate collections they have no further plans for. Vern has a large client and customer base on more than one continent. (Some of the collections of ex-Shelby American employees have been liquidated by Vern.)
I second Vern Estes as a good alternative to "selling yourself". I have known him for many years now and can testify that he has a good moral compass . He has gotten accolades from all that have used his services that I am aware of. I know Dan as well as myself and others have helped Vern supplement his knowledge base so as to be better informed on a given subject. Vern Estes 913.232.2136

Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby