Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Misc Items

1965-1966 Door Strikers

(1/1)

Maksim27:
Guys I got my door strikers plated and was wondering if the collar was only clear zinc from the Factory or was the whole striker zinc chromate.  From my old pictures the collar looked clear zinc, but could have been from the latch mechanism tapping on the collar for the last 58 years.  The last 2 pictures was before plating.

Jan 66 San Jose

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: Maksim27 on February 16, 2024, 03:00:36 AM ---Guys I got my door strikers plated and was wondering if the collar was only clear zinc from the Factory or was the whole striker zinc chromate.  From my old pictures the collar looked clear zinc, but could have been from the latch mechanism tapping on the collar for the last 58 years.  The last 2 pictures was before plating.

Jan 66 San Jose

--- End quote ---
Your suspicion is correct that the zinc dichromate wore off leaving the clear zinc subsurface. They are typically all the same finish shade. The dichromate surface has to be over a zinc surface for it to stick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version