Author Topic: Orange paint on the driveshaft  (Read 1059 times)

Offline lightwtjet

Orange paint on the driveshaft
« on: August 19, 2023, 03:47:23 PM »
Several websites and the Perkins 70 Boss car describe bright orange paint on driveline parts- portions of the yokes front and rear and the tips of the driveshaft-front and rear. Why would Ford do that?  Thanks   
1968 CJ - Owner and paint original. Dec 67 build in Dearborn. One of 50 135 Cobra Jets. Ford engineering used it for 8 mos. to resolve problems in the 50 early car build. Ford by-passed the normal sign off to get cars to the Winternationals drag race.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Orange paint on the driveshaft
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 06:50:02 PM »
The orange color found on driveline ends/yokes does not apply to all years for our classic years and method of marking the end yokes is not the same for all years and applications either from the examples I've found and documented.   

Yokes were often identified by a color code so that workers assembling the drivelines could choose the correct front and rear yokes for the driveline they were building. The station likely had dozens of different ones and like other things related to our cars a color identification was the quickest way for a worker to identify the right piece quickly.

As for driveline markings you have identification markings for the worker on the car assembly line so they they could locate and install the correct one for a particular car while there is often additional stripes and markings identifying other practices and checks that were applied during the driveline assembly process
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline lightwtjet

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 10:18:40 PM »
  I just replaced my U Joints - Here is a picture-
1968 CJ - Owner and paint original. Dec 67 build in Dearborn. One of 50 135 Cobra Jets. Ford engineering used it for 8 mos. to resolve problems in the 50 early car build. Ford by-passed the normal sign off to get cars to the Winternationals drag race.

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 11:40:52 PM »
Is that orange paint based on what was there originally?  I have seen orange on the front yoke itself and have photos of that. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 12:24:50 AM »
Have a fair number of orange yokes on drivelines in the later 60's also have pink and other colors. All IMHO related to the size and in turn quick ID for the person assembling the drivelines.
Jeff Speegle

Offline lightwtjet

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 12:32:08 AM »
  I found a small amount of orange paint on the rear of my Cobra Jet driveshaft. Pictures were posted on this site of original driveshafts that had large orange markings at the rear. My d/s had no orange at the front but the slip yoke was marked with purple paint.  It is hard to get some of the local judges to get under the car to look.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 12:48:59 AM »
Just some of the 68 big block orange examples - though we are getting a bit off thread since the question is Boss 302 applications  ;)

Ages and worn there is still orange left on these examples

Jeff Speegle

Offline warwick

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 04:49:51 PM »
427 GTE - May 68 build has a lot of orange on rear driveshaft yoke and a lot of pink on front transmission yoke. C6/WFD-A rear.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 06:56:52 PM »
427 GTE - May 68 build has a lot of orange on rear driveshaft yoke and a lot of pink on front transmission yoke. C6/WFD-A rear.

What transmission? Since that makes a different in the trans yoke markings  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline warwick

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 04:38:45 PM »
C6 : Tag: PGB W
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 04:42:37 PM by warwick »