1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1964 1/2 - 1965

Interior Code D5 - Proper Colors and Application

<< < (2/2)

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: MWilly on December 11, 2023, 12:11:51 PM ---My main question though was around how to get the correct white and the correct red for all the various components.  I did purchase DI-L2290 upholstery in the end because the TMI version was way more of an off-white, though I'd still like to know what is truly correct.  Lastly, a recommendation on correct Rangoon Red single-stage paint would be appreciated.  Thanks everyone.
--- End quote ---

Well you can't control the color that parts are being made in unless your planning or using dye. If not your left with comparing what is available but you appear to have already started to compare at least the seat upholstery. Painted items would be typically for this year be all the same. Can't offer a good match for Rangoon Red since I've not shot or used that. If your looking for paint might want to contact TCB Global and see if you can get a sample of what they are selling for both the white and the red.

Its a place to start unless someone here has recently shot the same colors 

MWilly:

--- Quote from: jwc66k on March 14, 2023, 04:21:14 PM ---Mark,
Welcome. Golly gee, another Fastback guy (I have a 65 GT Fastback and a 66 GT Fastback).
Attached is a color guide from "How To Restore Your Mustang". What it is best used for is what is painted what color, not the actual paint manufacturer. For paint selection, I recommend you consider using National Parts Depot https://www.npdlink.com/ for selection of almost anything reproduced. Scott302 from NPD is a member of the forum and is a good guy.
As to exterior paint, that depends on where you live for availability. I'm in California. Almost all the paint today is single stage which is not what was originally used. I know of a several cars that were sent to other states to be painted.
Jim

--- End quote ---

MWilly:
Thank you for the information.  This is good guidance and at the end of the day what matters is what makes us (and the judges) happy right?

Mark

RoyceP:

--- Quote from: jwc66k on March 14, 2023, 04:21:14 PM ---As to exterior paint, that depends on where you live for availability. I'm in California. Almost all the paint today is single stage which is not what was originally used. I know of a several cars that were sent to other states to be painted.
Jim

--- End quote ---

I think Jim means to say that California limits the paint sold in that state to Water-based products which were not originally used. The original paint was single stage, either enamel or lacquer. Many folks therefore contract their cars to be painted in more friendly places where chemicals can be used still.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version