Author Topic: Were taillight buckets masked before painting their insides?  (Read 689 times)

Offline boss167961

Were taillight buckets masked before painting their insides?
« on: February 06, 2022, 04:27:37 AM »
So we know the insides of the taillight buckets of 70 Mustangs were sprayed satin white. But were the buckets masked in any way before painting? Or were they sprayed unmasked with some resulting overspray on the outside surfaces of the bucket? Anybodygot some survivor pics?
Martin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Were taillight buckets masked before painting their insides?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 02:30:07 PM »
Never found any overspray of white on the surface facing the trunk compartment though have a number of originals with what appears to be white paint drips or smears on those surfaces that may be the results of the removal of a mask or something else used to block paint during the process. 

Will see if I can post a couple of those in the meantime for examples of unrestored ones guess you have looked in the unrestored picture thread area and those pictures already.  You can used examples from other plants, focus on Dearborn  in this case, since they likely had the same supplier. Also there was just a discussion about the paper labels and the taillight housings last week or so where I posted some pictures also
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 03:04:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 05:01:45 PM »
Don't have any clear pictures of NJ taillight buckets. NJ cars can be difficult to find in even nice unrestored condition

Since these were likely painted and supplied by the same provider as Dearborn you may be able to apply what you see here. Of course there are always examples where the worker may have messed up or not have been as careful as they should (like the drips and smudges mentioned above) so since your car sounds like you don't have any evidence on your car to document IMHO you should go with what was typical rather than follows the oddities

Here are a few unrestored examples from Dearborn 70's. For others ignore the paint details in the following pictures as there are many different models the samples were taken from so they might not match how your specific car was built

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 05:07:07 PM »
As for the smudges, drips and drabs mentioned above here are some pictures of what I was trying to describe. Appears to not have happened very often but wanted to share. None of these are white cars or with white exterior repaints 

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline boss167961

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 04:07:46 AM »
Excellent. Thanks Jeff - exactly what I was looking for.
Martin

Offline blueboss

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 11:48:11 AM »
My take on the white smudges and drips is this might be a by product of how these were painted and then hung to dry.

Just a thought.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 02:54:36 PM »
My take on the white smudges and drips is this might be a by product of how these were painted and then hung to dry.

Just a thought.

That would match what I'm seeing and showed above
Jeff Speegle