Author Topic: Cleaning gas tank protector board and cowl to hood seals  (Read 1204 times)

Offline HDAshmore

Cleaning gas tank protector board and cowl to hood seals
« on: July 11, 2020, 07:14:57 PM »
Team,

Good afternoon.  Bought a bunch of 70 parts and hidden in the pile was two original gas tank protector boards and two original cowl to hood seals.  All were in great shape short of overspray on the seals and stains and mold spots on the boards.

What is the best way to clean/restore boards and seals without damaging material?

Also, if the seals ever start to split or crack what is best to is to repair and what is best to use to condition the rubber to keep from dry rot.

Thank in advance for any assistance.

Dan in Kansas

Offline 69bossnut

• DSD Restorations LLC
Re: Cleaning gas tank protector board and cowl to hood seals
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 03:53:46 AM »
Dan,
I have used GoJo hand cleaner on the rubber seals. With effort & a little soak time they come out nice & seems to condition the rubber. Not sure on the filler boards.
DAVID DAVIS
DSD RESTORATIONS LLC
5075 E. COUNTY RD. 126
BLYTHEVILLE, AR. 72315
870-780-4999
dsdresto@gmail.com
www.dsdrestoration.com

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 03:24:39 PM »
David,

Thank you.  Hope all is well.

Dan

Offline 70-Conv_4sp

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 01:27:29 AM »
Try using #0000 steel wool. I have had good results with it on different surfaces, but as always try it on a inconspicuous area first before
proceeding full speed ahead

70-Conv_4sp 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 07:43:00 PM »
Used a Zymol product for years for rubber parts. But unfortunately the company has dropped the product though it continues to make available a similar one that likely produces similar affects. Current product is Zymöl Treat. Kind of expensive but you don't need much and if its like the other product it has worked well for me. For small stuff I clean the rubber, work some into the surface leaving a light coat, then place it in a plastic bag, burp it and leave it. Ever week or so I rub the product around on the surface through the plastic bag until it's where I like it. Have also applied and wrapped original tires with the stuff them cling wrapped the tire and left it in storage to try and block our ozone and hopefully restore the rubber a bit.

Agreed you would be best served just to make another from fresh new material
As for board measurements. Measured one out in the garage (so no note of where or when its from ) Measured out at 16" x 12"
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 08:17:58 PM »
Jeff,

Thanks for following up.  By chance how thick was gas tank protector? 

Dan