Author Topic: Stripping Paint From Fiberglass -  (Read 2286 times)

Offline jwc66k

Stripping Paint From Fiberglass -
« on: January 20, 2021, 04:55:45 PM »
This was asked of me today as in - "How do I - ?". I'm sure the question has been asked before - How do you strip paint from fiberglass? The subject materials is the fiberglass panels on 65-68 Fastbacks and 69 and up Sportsroofs, panels that are not always reproduced.
Some chemicals I've considered, questioned and possibly rejected:
- Jasco Paint Stripper (available from Home Depot) - could adversely affect the fiberglass resin.
- Kleen-Strip - same as above.
- Aircraft Paint Stripper - same as above.
- Krud Kutter (available from Home Depot) - I've used this on my kitchen cabinets. It removes dirt and grease from wood if you rinse it off in a minute. After 2 or 3 minutes, it softens paint. Will it work on fiberglass.
- Berryman's B12 carb cleaner - I soak metal items like hardware in this for a week to get paint off - could adversely affect the fiberglass resin.
- Acetone - don't know
Another consideration is process, the paint might come off but what do you use to "neutralize" the remover? Baking soda? Water? A generic paint stripper (like Jasco) could "remove" the paint, but you got to "stop it" too.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Stripping Paint From Fiberglass -
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 05:34:59 PM »
As mentioned in the other threads on the subject I found Easy Off Oven cleaner my choice in the past. a bit nasty to use but every choice has its challenges but does not affect the panel or textures and returns the panel to an original look other than possible sun and exposure damage to the tint that can, if needed, be address in other ways.

One of the earlier discussion

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2668.msg14769#msg14769
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 07:20:25 PM »
I used paint "stripping" in my search, "removal" is the key word.
Thanks to all who responded. I think it's important to say what DOES NOT work as well as what does.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 07:40:55 PM »
Sorry Jim - had to try a number of combinations. But forgot to include my search words as you know I usually include in the response :)

Ended up with "remove paint fiberglass" which returned a post with "remove and paint" in the title and "fiberglass" in one of the responses

« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 07:43:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 09:36:21 PM »
As mentioned in the other threads on the subject I found Easy Off Oven cleaner my choice in the past. a bit nasty to use but every choice has its challenges but does not affect the panel or textures and returns the panel to an original look other than possible sun and exposure damage to the tint that can, if needed, be address in other ways.

One of the earlier discussion

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2668.msg14769#msg14769
There are many versions of Easy Off Oven Cleaner, but the one you want for paint removal from fiberglass is the version that contains lye.  Use gloves in a well-ventilated area.   I'm not lying.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 12:42:17 AM »
For me on cars and around the house, it has been "stripping paint". "Removing" sounds too formal.
A topic search is only as good as the words you use. (Am I philosophical or what?)
Jim

Offline Colorado56

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 01:55:14 AM »
Would the easy off oven cleaner work for a 68 California Special taillight panel as well? 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 05:38:46 AM »
Would the easy off oven cleaner work for a 68 California Special taillight panel as well?

It may - Test a little on the back side first to see how it reacts to the material. Its different from the interior panels. Also how effective it is likely will depend on the paint your trying to remove. Of interior panels it would have been lacquer or enamel where exterior the paint may have had a hardener or been some other type of paint used
Jeff Speegle

Offline DougDyar

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 09:02:55 AM »
I am nearing completion of the restoration on 203277 and have begun stripping the interior panels. I have put this off time and time again as other tasks seemed easier and I like progress. But sooner or later I knew I would have to tackle repainting these panels. I've put them off as long as I can, but now must put on my big boy pants and get 'er done.

My car did not leave Dearborn with a fold down seat, but the second owner added one. I love this option, so I am reinstalling it. I have collected the necessary panels and parts at swap meets and on this forum to ensure that I have all the correct bits. It also had a '69-'70 Shelby roll bar added by the same owner, which isn't making it back in. The roll bar install required cutting the interior trim panels, ruining the originals.

So my interior fiberglass panels are a collection of pieces from different cars. Different colors, layers of old paint, and "patina" have to be removed to achieve the finish that I desire.

9 separate panels, both fiberglass and steel, need to be painted to match for the fold down. The steel ones can be refinished using media blasting and paint. But the fiberglass ones are too delicate for blasting. Hence the need for an effective chemical stripper.

In retrospect, I should not have worried so much about stripping the paint off the 'glass. The Heavy Duty Easy Off in the yellow can really does work. Yes, it's messy and smelly. But it strips off the old paint pretty well. I set up a "cleaning station" composed of a table, large stainless drip pan, large garbage bags, and a heat lamp. I spray the Easy Off onto the part, place it in the bag, and then turn the heat lamp onto it. Let it sit and ruminate for a couple of hours, and them attack it with rubber gloves and some 0000 steel wool. Rinse with hot water and inspect. It will likely take more than one application but persistence pays off.

It's taken me about a week to strip the 7 fiberglass panels. I'm nearly done, and I hope to get them off to be painted soon. Progress!

Doug
0F02G203277
June 22, 1970 Dearborn BOSS 302

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 10:16:21 AM »
I am nearing completion of the restoration on 203277 and have begun stripping the interior panels. I have put this off time and time again as other tasks seemed easier and I like progress. But sooner or later I knew I would have to tackle repainting these panels. I've put them off as long as I can, but now must put on my big boy pants and get 'er done.

My car did not leave Dearborn with a fold down seat, but the second owner added one. I love this option, so I am reinstalling it. I have collected the necessary panels and parts at swap meets and on this forum to ensure that I have all the correct bits. It also had a '69-'70 Shelby roll bar added by the same owner, which isn't making it back in. The roll bar install required cutting the interior trim panels, ruining the originals.

So my interior fiberglass panels are a collection of pieces from different cars. Different colors, layers of old paint, and "patina" have to be removed to achieve the finish that I desire.

9 separate panels, both fiberglass and steel, need to be painted to match for the fold down. The steel ones can be refinished using media blasting and paint. But the fiberglass ones are too delicate for blasting. Hence the need for an effective chemical stripper.

In retrospect, I should not have worried so much about stripping the paint off the 'glass. The Heavy Duty Easy Off in the yellow can really does work. Yes, it's messy and smelly. But it strips off the old paint pretty well. I set up a "cleaning station" composed of a table, large stainless drip pan, large garbage bags, and a heat lamp. I spray the Easy Off onto the part, place it in the bag, and then turn the heat lamp onto it. Let it sit and ruminate for a couple of hours, and them attack it with rubber gloves and some 0000 steel wool. Rinse with hot water and inspect. It will likely take more than one application but persistence pays off.

It's taken me about a week to strip the 7 fiberglass panels. I'm nearly done, and I hope to get them off to be painted soon. Progress!

Doug
Doug, I do the same basic thing and have done it many times on interior trim. If time and efficiency are a factor I would offer the observation from experience that a stiff bristled plastic (not steel) brush would not immediately gum up with soften paint material like the 0000 steel wool and yet the plastic bristles will not harm the grain ether. The bristles gets into the grain better then the ultra fine steel wool which tends to glide over the top surface. I typically only leave the easy off on for about 30-45 minutes in a well heated room before going at them again as I find that any longer and you get diminished additional results . I don't use the bags because of the extra mess each time. It may take a couple of extra times with the easy off application but the time you save over the hours wait time between steps is worth it IMO. I hate doing the job and the faster I am able to efficiently ,safely do it the better. Just the way I do it for the reasons I mentioned and offered and meant to be helpful.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 06:20:05 PM »
Glad to again hear that the methods offered worked out again for another member.

Exact details often need to be adjust for local weather conditions and time of year. And as always remember your safety gear  8)
Jeff Speegle

Offline DKutz

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 09:31:32 PM »
Easy off worked..ok for me but

Ended up using citrus strip from Home Depot
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 09:56:25 PM »
Glad to again hear that the methods offered worked out again for another member.

Exact details often need to be adjust for local weather conditions and time of year. And as always remember your safety gear  8)
Yes I can't agree more that this is one of those cases where you need to be safety prepared. Safety gear is essential because of chemical burns from the lye in the product . Heaven help you if any small particles get in your eyes from material flicked off of the panel while during brushing action. If you are prepared and careful it is not a problem.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline DougDyar

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 10:08:16 PM »
Doug, I do the same basic thing and have done it many times on interior trim. If time and efficiency are a factor I would offer the observation from experience that a stiff bristled plastic (not steel) brush would not immediately gum up with soften paint material like the 0000 steel wool and yet the plastic bristles will not harm the grain ether. The bristles gets into the grain better then the ultra fine steel wool which tends to glide over the top surface. I typically only leave the easy off on for about 30-45 minutes in a well heated room before going at them again as I find that any longer and you get diminished additional results . I don't use the bags because of the extra mess each time. It may take a couple of extra times with the easy off application but the time you save over the hours wait time between steps is worth it IMO. I hate doing the job and the faster I am able to efficiently ,safely do it the better. Just the way I do it for the reasons I mentioned and offered and meant to be helpful.   

Bob
I'm not quite done yet. I'm making good progress, but there's still a very small amount of paint stuck down in the "valleys" of the grain. Will have to try to find a nice, stiff plastic bristle brush. Thanks for the tip!
Doug
0F02G203277
June 22, 1970 Dearborn BOSS 302

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 10:26:12 PM »
Think fingernail brushes...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com