Author Topic: How To Safely Remove Glass From Frame?  (Read 1792 times)

Offline MWM

How To Safely Remove Glass From Frame?
« on: November 23, 2011, 08:28:03 PM »
Any tips on how to remove the glass from the wing window frame and door glass from the frame without breaking it? I am going with new glass.
Thank you!

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: How To Safely Remove Glass From Frame?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 10:29:44 PM »
Wing window is usually pretty easy.  Once the stainless frame is removed from the larger chromed frame, spread the corners of the stainless frame, the glass usually pulls out without too much trouble.

Door glass is more challenging.  The lower frame has a couple screws at the back.  Remove those and then use a block of wood to butt up against the bottom frame and tap it off with a rubber mallet.  Same procedure with the stainless door glass frame.  Have to be careful as it's easy to split the upper rear corner. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline MWM

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 04:24:08 AM »
Thank you Charles!
I was able to coax the glass out of the frame.  I have new tape from the manufacturer to wrap around the edge of the new glass and install. What is the process to get the glass back into the frame without breaking the glass? 
Thank you!

Offline MUSTANGER

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 11:59:39 PM »
Thanks guys.......just replacing the glass on mine this weekend....... :)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 04:55:04 PM »
Rubber mallet is what I use to tap the stainless back down.  The glass can take the impact, but obviously don't get too heavy handed with it.  Another option is to use some type of lubricant to help the glass slip in easier.  You can trim the glass tape once everything is set and back together.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline MUSTANGER

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 08:15:06 AM »
Just performed this task on the weekend with 100% strike rate............

One more tip, I used a bit of masking tape to hold the excess glass tape in place and then just trimmed all excess tape (masking and glass tape) . I found it easier to slip the chrome over the glass tape as it was being held in place......Cheers