Author Topic: Interior Code D5 - Proper Colors and Application  (Read 1559 times)

Offline MWilly

Interior Code D5 - Proper Colors and Application
« on: March 14, 2023, 04:04:46 PM »
Hi All - new to the forum, so please forgive me if this has been answered.  I could not find this topic using the search so here it goes:

I have a 65 Fastback, Date Code 19J, Trim Code D5.  I believe this means white with red appointments (I have owned the car since 1983 and that is how it was when I bought it, though I believe it had undergone a cosmetic restoration of sorts just before I purchased it.  My questions are as follows:

1) What is the correct interior upholstery color?  Right now my thought is Distinctive Industries L-2290 white.  I bought a "white" TMI upholstery set but it was way more off-white than my old upholstery.  The DI L-2290 white seems to be much closer.
2) What is the correct white paint to use for interior panels, dash, A-pillars, etc?
3) What is the correct red paint to use for speaker/defrost grill and dash trim?
4) What interior pieces should be red, and which should be white?  My current assumptions are listed below for easy correction:
White:
Upholstery
Kick Panels
Console
Interior panels and trim (folding seat area - what is the best spray can color match?)
Door Panels
Doors
Headliner
Dash (please advise regarding best spray can color match)

Red:
Dash Pad (proper color?)
Seat Belts (should buckle be red?  If so, please suggest proper paint color)
Carpets (proper color?)
Dash Pad trim at windshield (proper color?)
Speaker/Defrost Grill (proper color?)

Lastly, this is a Rangoon Red exterior car.  Who makes the best modern-day paint match?

Many Thanks,

Mark

Offline jwc66k

Re: Interior Code D5 - Proper Colors and Application
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 04:21:14 PM »
Mark,
Welcome. Golly gee, another Fastback guy (I have a 65 GT Fastback and a 66 GT Fastback).
Attached is a color guide from "How To Restore Your Mustang". What it is best used for is what is painted what color, not the actual paint manufacturer. For paint selection, I recommend you consider using National Parts Depot https://www.npdlink.com/ for selection of almost anything reproduced. Scott302 from NPD is a member of the forum and is a good guy.
As to exterior paint, that depends on where you live for availability. I'm in California. Almost all the paint today is single stage which is not what was originally used. I know of a several cars that were sent to other states to be painted.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 10:48:43 PM »
I'm in California. Almost all the paint today is single stage which is not what was originally used. I know of a several cars that were sent to other states to be painted.
Jim
Are you sure about this?  I thought almost all modern paints are base coat/clear coat, not single stage, which was what was used in the factory at the time.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 04:58:47 PM »
Hi All - new to the forum, so please forgive me if this has been answered.  I could not find this topic using the search so here it goes:

I have a 65 Fastback, Date Code 19J, Trim Code D5.  I believe this means white with red appointments (I have owned the car since 1983 and that is how it was when I bought it, though I believe it had undergone a cosmetic restoration of sorts just before I purchased it.  My questions are as follows:................

Welcome Mark to the site. Hope you find the information and support you need with your restoration project.

Just checking. Did you get the answers you were looking for? If not what is left on your list so we can help.

NOTE: The side discussion on orange peel has been split off and is not in the Body, Paint and Sealers section of this site
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 06:54:08 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline MWilly

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 12:11:51 PM »
Thanks for everyone's replies.  I somehow missed these incoming responses, and then got tied-up on the PCT during the summer, thus my extremely tardy thanks.

As for my questions being answered, not really.  I appreciate the excerpt guidelines from How to Restore Your Mustang - I do have that reference and it helps some with regard to what should be painted what color. My main question though was around how to get the correct white and the correct red for all the various components.  I did purchase DI-L2290 upholstery in the end because the TMI version was way more of an off-white, though I'd still like to know what is truly correct.  Lastly, a recommendation on correct Rangoon Red single-stage paint would be appreciated.  Thanks everyone.

Mark

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 07:29:19 PM »
My main question though was around how to get the correct white and the correct red for all the various components.  I did purchase DI-L2290 upholstery in the end because the TMI version was way more of an off-white, though I'd still like to know what is truly correct.  Lastly, a recommendation on correct Rangoon Red single-stage paint would be appreciated.  Thanks everyone.

Well you can't control the color that parts are being made in unless your planning or using dye. If not your left with comparing what is available but you appear to have already started to compare at least the seat upholstery. Painted items would be typically for this year be all the same. Can't offer a good match for Rangoon Red since I've not shot or used that. If your looking for paint might want to contact TCB Global and see if you can get a sample of what they are selling for both the white and the red.

Its a place to start unless someone here has recently shot the same colors 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline MWilly

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 02:47:55 PM »
Mark,
Welcome. Golly gee, another Fastback guy (I have a 65 GT Fastback and a 66 GT Fastback).
Attached is a color guide from "How To Restore Your Mustang". What it is best used for is what is painted what color, not the actual paint manufacturer. For paint selection, I recommend you consider using National Parts Depot https://www.npdlink.com/ for selection of almost anything reproduced. Scott302 from NPD is a member of the forum and is a good guy.
As to exterior paint, that depends on where you live for availability. I'm in California. Almost all the paint today is single stage which is not what was originally used. I know of a several cars that were sent to other states to be painted.
Jim

Offline MWilly

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 02:49:17 PM »
Thank you for the information.  This is good guidance and at the end of the day what matters is what makes us (and the judges) happy right?

Mark

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 03:14:33 PM »
Jim

I think Jim means to say that California limits the paint sold in that state to Water-based products which were not originally used. The original paint was single stage, either enamel or lacquer. Many folks therefore contract their cars to be painted in more friendly places where chemicals can be used still.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock