1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 - 70 Shelby

Help with rim blow switch

(1/2) > >>

Tomdeg:
Hey All,
Replacing my new to me ?69 GT350 rim blow switch. It was rock hard when taking the old one out and I spent the better part of yesterday chipping all the petrified rubber ( or glue) out.
My problem is when I went to put the new repro switch in, it did not want to go in without a fight. Of course I ruined the switch in the process. I did notice that the gap in the wheel is about 2mm smaller than the width of the switch. Is this normal? If it matters, the wheel is dated July 68. The gap on the wheel is approximately 7.5-8mm and the switch is about 10mm.
Thanks,
Tom

Tomdeg:
Does anybody know what the width of the gap should be? Maybe the gap has shrunk?

RoyceP:
Try contacting these guys:

https://www.rimblowrestoration.com/

jwc66k:
Way back when (around 1972) a friend bought a used 1969 Sportsroof (H code, FMX) with the rim blow horn. It didn't work back then either. Just a heads up.
Jim

P3sons:
Your new switch has to be installed without any restrictions. 2mm of interference is too much!
As you discovered, if you force the new switch in, or pinch it, it can be permanently destroyed.
There are several manufacturers of the switches so I assume they are not all identical, and widths may vary.

The steering wheels are/were subjected to lots of sunlight and heat.  This results in cracking and shrinking.
The switch trenches do shrink up! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version