Author Topic: 1966 SJ Color questions  (Read 2449 times)

Offline 1966GTFB

1966 SJ Color questions
« on: November 20, 2011, 07:11:34 PM »
I have an early 66 factory GT fastback and I have a few questions on color marks.

1) I have just stripped down my leaf springs and I see a yellow dot on both short leaves. Is this correct as I see lots of talk about stripes and what color of yellow would it have been if that is correct for SJ build?

2) Rear drums, it says Natural cast iron with SSW blacked out. What is SSW?

3) Front springs, what marking would I have on them? Any pictures would be great.

Thanks for you help everyone.

Jeff
SJ Build Date: 9/17
'66 Fstbk: 63A X 26 17J

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 SJ Color questions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 07:22:53 PM »
I have an early 66 factory GT fastback and I have a few questions on color marks.

What month was your car projected to be completed?

1) I have just stripped down my leaf springs and I see a yellow dot on both short leaves. Is this correct as I see lots of talk about stripes and what color of yellow would it have been if that is correct for SJ build?

Originally these springs would have been marked with a Green and Yellow mark (in your example a daub) but sometimes the worker messed up and only applied one color - Must have messed up the line worker a bunch. Have seen this before and would not reproduce this detail unless your car was found this way (making mention of this for others viewing this thread)

Also when and if you show the car I would have a copy of the picture of the original markings on hand and inform the judges before they start of your non typical findins.

2) Rear drums, it says Natural cast iron with SSW blacked out. What is SSW?

That refers to the blacking out of the face of the drum with black paint (messy swipes of a brush) to hide the face that often rusted and would show though the face of the styled steel wheels (SSW)

3) Front springs, what marking would I have on them? Any pictures would be great.

What engine, what trans, PS?  Thermactor?

This will give us an idea of what springs might have been installed

One a color mark is determined then apply it with a 1/2" brush with the spring out (setting up side down - on the flat surface) from what will be the bottom to the top.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 07:26:41 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1966GTFB

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 07:54:30 PM »
Hi Jeff,

289, 4spd, no P/s or Thermactor. Sept 65. I may try some evaporust, seen some great results and it may have a green one too.

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 12:16:41 AM »
Believe you would be safe with marking the from leaf springs as outlined above with a single red (sort of fire engine red) stripe
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 08:35:59 AM »
Hi Jeff,

289, 4spd, no P/s or Thermactor. Sept 65. I may try some evaporust, seen some great results and it may have a green one too.

Thanks,

Jeff

My 9/65 scheduled build SJ GT FB had both the yellow and green dots on the rear springs.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline 1966GTFB

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 06:14:28 PM »
Well Evaporust did a good job but no other color except for the yellow...Oh well...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 11:35:06 PM »
Well Evaporust did a good job but no other color except for the yellow...Oh well...

As you'll see in other threads related to the C4ZA-S springs it happened some times (only one mark)
Jeff Speegle