Author Topic: Removing powder coating from exhaust manifolds?  (Read 2048 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Removing powder coating from exhaust manifolds?
« on: September 20, 2019, 02:50:47 PM »
I bought a pair of 65 hi-po exhaust manifolds a few months back.  They have what looks like powder coating.  Did a spot test in the blast cabinet, wouldn't hardly leave a mark on it.  Anyone have any ideas of how to get this stuff off?  I've read about chemical remover, but one strong enough to remove the coating is 'dangerous' to use in a home shop setting.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline preaction

Re: Removing powder coating from exhaust manifolds?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 03:01:15 PM »
Glass beads will take it off eventually it could take hours, I tried using a wire wheel to break up the larger portions but still time consuming the coarsest media available is what is needed.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 03:31:48 PM »
I bought a pair of 65 hi-po exhaust manifolds a few months back.  They have what looks like powder coating.  Did a spot test in the blast cabinet, wouldn't hardly leave a mark on it.  Anyone have any ideas of how to get this stuff off?  I've read about chemical remover, but one strong enough to remove the coating is 'dangerous' to use in a home shop setting.
If they were powder coated you could burn it off which wouldn't make sense on a exhaust manifold. Sounds like expensive jet hot like product. Could be porcelain coating but if so it is time to move on.  Aggressive media commercial sand blasting has gotten that off the jet hot type coating before but will compromise the bare appearance most likely. Sorry I am not familiar with a proper chemical stripper if it is what I think it is.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline JohnRB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 04:13:59 PM »
Found this

Have not tried it.

Let us know.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 05:16:09 PM »
Know some that have had to default to burning the coating off with a torch then following with media blasting for the thin lighter remains of the nasty stuff
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 06:49:06 PM »
Found this

Have not tried it.

Let us know.
Interesting product. My first thought was that taking the powder coat off a chrome valve cover and it's naturally slick surface was very more forgiving compared to another part that had been bead blasted and had a rougher surface for the paint to stick to. I wonder if it would work the same?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 03:30:37 PM »
I have had luck removing powder coating in the past using Permatex gasket remover, but the local parts stores no longer carry it, so it might be outlawed like the paint strippers with methylene chloride.  The stuff they sell now is low VOC, so I assume that to mean that it doesn't have whatever aggressive chemical that it previously had.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com/

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 12:50:43 PM »
Follow up... found a Benco product that broke down the coating enough that I was able to blast it off the rest of the way.  Soaked the manifolds for a few days, didn't look like it was doing anything, but did turn it from gloss finish to dull/etched appearance.  Saw there were a couple areas that looked chipped away and scraped with a putty knife.  Once I saw a few piece come off, that's when I decided to try the blast cabinet and to my surprise, the coating came off without too much trouble.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 01:12:41 PM »
Charles,
A little more detail if you would - product number, type of container you used, general temperature, any other tips.
Do you think this would work on other powder coated items?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 07:58:05 PM »
Interesting set of instructions. Not for the amateur. 
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 11:55:11 AM »
A little more detail if you would - product number, type of container you used, general temperature, any other tips.
Do you think this would work on other powder coated items?

Benco B17 product.  Initially tried applying it with a toothbrush, nothing happened, so that's when I filled up a 5 gallon bucket with it and soaked the manifolds.  Was surprised that it actually worked.  I've used it to strip paint off other parts too, just dip them for about 5-10 mins and the paint falls off.  Big time saver for parts that have to be blasted.  Had a set of hood hinges with lots of exterior paint over-spray, probably would have taken a couple hours to clean them in the cabinet.  Soaked in B17, rinsed/dried and spent 10 mins cleaning in blast cabinet after.

The stuff is a bit pricey, think I paid over $200 for a 5 gallon container.

It's some nasty stuff, need eye/skin protection.  I had a small tear in one of my gloves and this stuff got in, had to run to the faucet to rinse off!  I only use it outside in the driveway.  When I first used it and tried to apply with a tooth brush, it dissolved the tooth brush.

Temp-wise, I don't think it matters, but I'm sure that info is in the tech data.