Author Topic: 1970 4-spd Backup Light Switch Wire Harness Routing  (Read 10959 times)

Offline Mike_B_SVT

Re: 1970 4-spd Backup Light Switch Wire Harness Routing
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 02:14:31 PM »
Mike - different than what?  It looks like the one in Jeff's picture to me..??  As I said, you can use a loop in both locations but the hard to find plastic clip Jeff's picture shows is usually on that bottom peg.

Sorry, I was flashing back to my speedo cable clip question ~ the Deadnuts pic shows two different clips for the two firewall pegs. 

Either way, I think my original question was answered adequately.  As I understand it...

- The backup light wiring harness is held in place at the firewall with the plastic clip shown in Jeff's & the Deadnuts pics. 
- It then routes along the top of the trans with no clips holding it in place there.
- It is then attached to the transmission tailshaft with the metal clip that is bolted to the shifter plate.
- The wire then plugs into the backup light switch.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks again for the help fellahs, I appreciate it :-)
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 07:16:47 PM »
Yes, there are two different clips.  The loop for the B/U switch wire and the plastic thingie for the speedo cable.  You can use a loop both places until you find that unicorn you mentioned earlier.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 01:34:21 PM »
Interestingly, I see that the 1970 Assembly Manual shows a clip at the bellhousing for the B/U switch wire.  I know that CJ cars with a C6 have a clip under one of the BH bolts to retain the vacuum line to the modulator.  Could be the same style clip?

Has anyone seen an original '70 4-speed car with a clip for the wire on the bellhousing?  Wonder if they ever actually used one there in production.  The assembly manual shows it as "existing" but maybe it wasn't there except on C6 cars?
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 01:35:03 PM »
Found my Unicorn(s) the other day...

http://www.classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4916&p=53527#p53418

While prowling the WCCC yard Scott and I noted that the three varieties of firewall clips seemed to show up in seemingly random locations on the firewall pegs.
I also included some pics of the firewall clips on that low-mile original '70 eliminator garage find.

I found that the backup wire harness fits perfectly into the clip called out in the DNO picture.  I also found that I had an empty J-style clip in the same location as the garage find Eliminator shows holding the vacuum hose. 
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 04:22:27 PM »
Good for you

While prowling the WCCC yard Scott and I noted that the three varieties of firewall clips seemed to show up in seemingly random locations on the firewall pegs.

Maybe not random but based on options and such - just would take some time to match and collect all the data. thanks for sharing. Don't recall ever seeing the one on the far right in the picture

Maybe a Cougar clip rather than one used typically on Mustangs

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 04:32:22 PM »
...and my 69 firewall does not have the two studs in that location.  Only the upper one.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.