Author Topic: Cleaning and Maintaining a Unrestored Car  (Read 3119 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Cleaning and Maintaining a Unrestored Car
« on: October 04, 2014, 07:37:10 PM »
In the past here we had a few short threads here and there related to this subject but no real how-to's or collection of tips for the handful of owners of unrestored cars trying to maintain or clean up one. I for one have not owned, what I would consider a great or really nice unrestored car, so I am a poor resource in this area. Though I get to view a number of examples some prior to and some post clean up and often the cars change in a negative way from the owners poor choice or products or methods, erasing away details that are then gone for ever.  Because of this concern some owners choose to never do anything rather than take the risk.

So I know we have a small number of members that have some really great cars and those that have spent allot of time and effort with them that can surely help out current and future owners. So please share your "secrets" as well as  do's and don't. Not expecting allot of "here is how I screwed up"  but if you want the thread is fore you and others

Thanks to all . 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 08:03:54 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleaning and Maintaining a Unrestored Car
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 01:29:28 AM »
Great idea for a thread Steve. I will post some tips when I get back to the top side of the globe.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 05:20:39 PM »
I'd like to pop this to the top again in hopes of some input.
Thanks
Greg Z

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 11:06:04 AM »
 Great idea for a thread.  I enjoy original, unrestored cars and I often wonder how the proper markings, etc. can be preserved, especially if they are taken out to shows where they are exposed a bit to the elements.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 11:36:48 AM »
T9 Boe Shield is a given on a variety of things including paint markings that will not stain when exposed to oil based products. I use the Blue Coral Wheel Cleaner (green liquid, but not to be confused with simple green which I find about worthless in comparison) on engine compartment and grime underneath because it is very mild and will not stain or dull paint like harsher products.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 01:25:41 PM »
I would be interested in knowing what the original owner and subsequent owners of Dudley's 68 did to preserve that car....as that car is amazing.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline Deuce

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 03:04:56 PM »
This one family car has 500,000-plus miles, all in California.  While the car wasn't babied (a daily driver until mid-90s), it was well-maintained.  Always garaged, wiped down with a chamois after most drives and washed/waxed on regular schedule.  What you see is the original Dark Moss Green paint and second white vinyl top (photo taken January 2015).  C-4 transmission and 2.81 rear diff gears were replaced once as far as I can tell. 

The first motor died at 250K (flat camshaft).  A Ford factory remanufactured 289 long block was installed in the early 80s; now has 250,000 plus miles on this engine.  The second engine still runs strong and smooth, consumes little oil.  When plugs are changed, they're clean (T/E still works).  Currently 3,000 miles since last oil change and down 1/2 quart or less.  (I need to pull the starter one of these days to read the block casting number and date code to determine what the factory sold with its reman service replacement block).

I don't know all the tricks my father used in maintaining the car.  He was a diehard Ford man (owned many classic flathead Fords including '34 Phaeton, '40 Deluxe Convertible, '50 Custom convertible).  He almost ordered the '67 convertible; decided in the end to go with the vinyl hardtop look ("looks like a 'vert, safety and comfort of a hardtop...").

I do know a few maintenance techniques used on the car: 
- Swore by Rislone engine treatment.  When a quart low, he'd top off with Rislone, drive 1,000 miles more, then change the oil and filter.
- After the first motor died at 250K, he always used Valvoline 20W-50 racing oil in the replacement engine.  He thought Valvoline racing oil with its high zinc content helped flat-tappet engines (flattened camshaft killed the first motor).
- Usually wiped the car down with chamois and fresh water with a cap full of liquid wax after a drive.
- Weak spots on the car he always seemed to be repairing:  charging system, HVAC vacuum motors, power steering hydraulics. (Each of these sections in his Ford shop manual had lots of margin notes and underlining!)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:03:08 PM by Deuce »
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, Flat Rock built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline KevinK

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 01:02:31 AM »
I bought my 84 SVO new and planned to keep the miles low.  One thing that helps a lot is to keep the car waxed.  A good wax once a year goes a long way.  If you happen to miss it, then do it twice.  I have always used Meguires Cleaner Wax on the single stage paint.  I also used it to detail the undercarriage painted and plated items.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 10:52:46 AM »
 I'm wondering how to preserve the "paint dabs" and marker used to designate finished processes and parts location. Even careful cleaning can slowly wear these down. On my low mile Mercury, I carefully clear coated them with a satin clear. it was very hard to see that I did it and the markings stayed very visible. Not sure how any judges would view this practice though.