Author Topic: Control arm dipping  (Read 7412 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Control arm dipping
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:25:41 PM »
Did a little experimenting dipping control arms using the floating paint on water method.  I believe I didn't have enough paint on the surface as I got mixed results (test pieces.)  I'm using a 5 gallon bucket, filled up with water, then used a quart of black on the top.  Anyone with experience doing this?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Control arm dipping
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 07:42:43 AM »
Charles - I have done this several times now.  I use good old Rustoleum enamel and mix gloss and flat to get the sheen I want.  They always seem to come out a little glossier when dipped.  I agree that with the large surface area of a 5 gallon bucket you probably did not have enough paint depth using only a quart.  Remember you will loose paint as your part goes through and it adheres to the part, and a control arm takes quite a bit of paint.  You have to think about what you are doing and move the part a little sometimes to avoid an air pocket that would leave part of it unpainted.  I also have to thin the paint (with quality automotive thinner) to get it to drip off.

On some parts with complicated shape, I have sprayed a coat of paint on first, then dipped, just to be sure that some little bubble doesn't leave an unpainted "spot" that would require me to start over.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:57:01 AM »
I used Rustoleum oil-based enamel for my test.  Figured at 10 bucks a quart, no big loss.  I did not thin it out, the can says to use acetone for reducing.  I bought the semi-gloss in a quart, the final sheen actually looked pretty decent.  Didn't care for how it smelled though and it takes forever to dry.  I was thinking of buying a couple quarts of regular acrylic enamel and flatten/reduce it.

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:43:25 AM »
Charles, I don't think the Acrylic Enamel would float?

If anyone knows, why was the paint floated anyway?  Couldn't they just have dipped it in a trough FULL of paint?
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 12:06:40 PM »
Charles, I don't think the Acrylic Enamel would float?

If anyone knows, why was the paint floated anyway?  Couldn't they just have dipped it in a trough FULL of paint?

You're talking about 4+ gallons needed.  Even the cheapest acrylic enamel would be ~$100 per gallon.  If I was doing this on a more consistent basis, would make sense to just buy straight paint.

I'm guessing acrylic would float also, but haven't tried it.

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 02:15:42 PM »
I started mine with the water trick.  Made a total mess of everything.  I finally ended up with 5 quarts of Rust Oleum semi gloss.  In order to minimize the amount of paint I needed I bought a plastic portable file case from Staples and built a small bulkhead in it where the control arm would fit with minimal clearance all around.  I used very little paint and the mess was not too bad.  I let them hang for a week to dry; that Rust Oleum does take forever.  The finish is great and I used  the same method for the brake backing plates and some other parts too.
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 02:35:29 PM »
With the 5 quarts, did you reduce the paint at all?  I thought that it was too thick right out of the can.

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 03:24:12 PM »
I used it right out of the can.  However, I set the 5 cans in a huge pot of boiling water to get them warmed up.  The warm paint flows great.   ;)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 05:26:16 PM »
I thin the Rustoleum at least 1 oz. of reducer to every 4 oz. of paint.  I haven't tried acetone, but ordinary lacquer thinner didn't work as it did not seem to produce a homogenous mix.  I have been using "real" thinner; specifically Dupont 8022-S Mid-Temp Reducer, but I think any mid-temp reducer would be fine.  Just use a quality product and not a hardware store item.

Some shapes drip off well and some don't.  I have tried more than the 1/4 reducer mix to get a thinner result and it also worked, but I don't know if there is a point at which the paint is so thin that it will not produce a coating on the dipped part that will resist the water.

BTW, my drying time is usually about 2-3 days; not sure why you are needing more?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:55:51 AM by rockhouse66 »
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 09:57:34 PM »
Here is the custom Staples dipping cabinet and the one week drying process.  I even added a few old bricks in the bottom of the tank to take up some room and save more paint.

Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 12:22:13 AM »
Was the control arm shaft already installed when dipped in black? You did a good job either way, just wondering what is factory correct.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 11:00:17 AM »
My originals were black.
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 11:05:07 AM »
Gary is right.  The control arms that were dipped had the end shafts on.  Have seen late '66 and then 67-up have mostly all natural uppers.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 12:34:01 AM »
Well, I ended up buying some satin acrylic enamel, 3 gallons and 1 gallon of reducer.  Cost was about $65/gallon with shipping, not too bad.  I poured the 3 gallons in my 5 gallon bucket and then about half the gallon of reducer.  I had to tip the bucket to the side to get the coverage on the lower control arms how I wanted, but thought they came out great.  They were completely dry in less than 24 hours.  Couple pics here:

http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/K_vert/6_19_10/

Will take more pics later.  I couldn't resist bolting them to the car.  I needed to see some progress!

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 08:59:32 AM »
Looks great Charles.  Couldn't quite bring yourself to go for the low budget dipping cabinet from Staples; good for you. :)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI