Author Topic: Control arm dipping  (Read 7413 times)

Offline cobra427

Re: Control arm dipping
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 09:15:56 AM »
Pics look great, I restored mine and I used the original rivits from AMK for my ball joints and I couldn't get the correct waffle pattern like I see on yours, how did you get this?

Gary 
Currently working on a 68 GT500 #00563  Build date 13 Feb 68 NJ car.

Gary Ross

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 12:51:44 PM »
I had a fella in MA that did the riveting.  He had special dies made to do the waffle pattern and the lower dome pattern.  The upper and lower rivets are not the same.

If you need the contact info for the place in MA, let me know.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 03:19:45 PM »
I have been using the rustoleum for dipping for a long time. I use acetone to thin it.  I have done just as James did and mixed gloss and flat together to get a nice sheen.  I made a tall bucket of sorts to pore all the paint into and dip the lower arms into it with out having to use the water.  It does take a while for the paint to dry completely, a few days.  But I am a patient person.

MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
Dipping paint
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2022, 08:44:19 PM »
I was just curious what people were using for bulk black paint for dipping parts?  The only thing I came up with was using Menards farm implement black.  I only could find it at a gallon at a time, so at $27 a gallon, it added up to put it in a large container.  Also wondering if someone has a great idea to put less paint in a taller container for dipping lower support arms.  It would have to be at least 16" tall.

Daven

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Dipping paint
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2022, 09:31:09 PM »
this topic has been discussed before. a search here will reveal the answers.
5F09C331248

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2022, 10:05:12 PM »
From what I remember, a 1/2 inch of paint or so on top of water will do the trick.  Dump the part fully into the bucket and slowly pull it out; the paint will stick to the part.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2022, 10:20:33 PM »
From what I remember, a 1/2 inch of paint or so on top of water will do the trick. Dump the part fully into the bucket and slowly pull it out; the paint will stick to the part.

Well not really "Dump" the part since its the entry process that coats the part :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline T-Bone68

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2022, 02:51:20 PM »
In case it helps, here is what I used for dipping my pedals, including a video link.  Worked great, but I couldn't speak to how well it would hold up on an underbody part like your lower control arms. 

I used the float method because I don't have the room in my garage or volume of parts to restore to justify keeping a large bin around.  Floating limits you to oil based paints.  I used Rust-Oleum Semi-gloss black 7798 because after dip coating test panels, that seemed to match the pedal paint better then the satin gloss.  Mixed it 5:1 with acetone because that seemed enough thinning to reduce the heavy bead that forms on the bottom with straight paint.

Overall process:  Degrease -> steel wool -> soak in Evaporust -> rinse, dry, wipe with clean towel -> scuff with maroon Scotch Brite -> dip in semi gloss black mixture -> after a week of drying, coated the bare metal part with Boeshield T9
-the steel wool removed the top of the rust and accelerated the process in the Evaporust without leaving scuff/scratch marks on the parts to remain bare.
-I used the maroon scotch brite because it could get into the tiny spots and around weld material.  Supplemented with sand paper on the flats where I could.  In the video I forgot to scuff the first pedal and paid for it, but corrected my mistake for the second pedal.

Any feedback how to do it better is welcome.

You can fast forward the first 1min if you get bored watching me carefully pouring the paint on top.  The acrylic vase is great for making a video, but not for keeping a dipping tank.  The paint is attracted to the high polarity of the acrylic and after 1-2 hours started creeping down the sides.  Better to use a polypropylene or polyethylene container like most of the storage bins you find at the hardware store.  I didn't post here originally because I am a rookie and not a concours expert.

Offline OldGuy

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2022, 03:07:51 PM »
In case it helps, here is what I used for dipping my pedals, including a video link.  Worked great, but I couldn't speak to how well it would hold up on an underbody part like your lower control arms. 

I used the float method because I don't have the room in my garage or volume of parts to restore to justify keeping a large bin around.  Floating limits you to oil based paints.  I used Rust-Oleum Semi-gloss black 7798 because after dip coating test panels, that seemed to match the pedal paint better then the satin gloss.  Mixed it 5:1 with acetone because that seemed enough thinning to reduce the heavy bead that forms on the bottom with straight paint.

Overall process:  Degrease -> steel wool -> soak in Evaporust -> rinse, dry, wipe with clean towel -> scuff with maroon Scotch Brite -> dip in semi gloss black mixture -> after a week of drying, coated the bare metal part with Boeshield T9
-the steel wool removed the top of the rust and accelerated the process in the Evaporust without leaving scuff/scratch marks on the parts to remain bare.
-I used the maroon scotch brite because it could get into the tiny spots and around weld material.  Supplemented with sand paper on the flats where I could.  In the video I forgot to scuff the first pedal and paid for it, but corrected my mistake for the second pedal.

Any feedback how to do it better is welcome.

You can fast forward the first 1min if you get bored watching me carefully pouring the paint on top.  The acrylic vase is great for making a video, but not for keeping a dipping tank.  The paint is attracted to the high polarity of the acrylic and after 1-2 hours started creeping down the sides.  Better to use a polypropylene or polyethylene container like most of the storage bins you find at the hardware store.  I didn't post here originally because I am a rookie and not a concours expert.

GREAT video! Thanks for sharing.

Frank

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2022, 03:36:28 PM »
Thank you all!  I loved the video!

Daven

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2022, 07:35:00 PM »
Excellent video.  Having never done it before I have more confidence in giving it a try.
1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
1963 Thunderbird Z code - raven black/red
1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue
1968 XR7 J code - black/red
1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - cardinal red/black