Author Topic: P&G Valve Gapper  (Read 859 times)

Offline mmus65tang

P&G Valve Gapper
« on: February 13, 2022, 08:20:02 PM »
Recently read about a solid lifter valve adjusting tool made back in the 1950's into the 1970's called the P&G valve gapper that was made in Portland, Oregon.
I guess there are several models - Model 300, Model 111 and Model 112. The information I have read on the net talks about using this tool for adjusting valves on Ford Y blocks. Does anyone on the forum know if one of these models will work a Ford 289 Hipo?

Thanks

Offline jwc66k

Re: P&G Valve Gapper
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 04:10:27 PM »
I use a feeler gauge for adjusting Hipo valves. I have an old beat up valve cover with the upper section cut off to allow adjusting access and keep the splashing oil inside as much as possible.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline mmus65tang

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 11:53:09 PM »
If you goggle and read about the P&G valve gapper, it's a pretty cool tool. Just don't know if it works on a 289 hipo drive train. was hoping someone on the forum had experience with using this tool on a 289 hipo and could confirm it will work on a hipo.

Mike

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 09:18:33 PM »
I'm sure a P&G Valve gapper would work on a HiPo if it was configured correctly. The problem is that those tools have a dozen or so different bases, 3 inner barrels, at least 2 outer barrels, and 3 different springs. They could be configured to work on a ton of different engines from 4 cylinders to Cummins diesels at finding out what combination of parts you need for a small block ford nowadays could be trying to say the least. When they were new, you looked up your application in a P&G catalog and it told you what combination of parts you needed.

When configured correctly, they are a cool little tool, and you can set your actual lash precisely as the tool measures the actual lash on a hot, idling engine.

I'll try and dig some out and post some pics,   John

Offline Craners

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 08:06:48 AM »
Yes, this will work with stock 289 HiPo valve train.
I have one that I use ..on my 1966 Shelby.
I bought it a few years ago from a friend that sold his Shelby cars.

I can take a few photos if you?d like that. I believe I have a cut sheet that defines all the adapter applications.

The adapters can be machined to adapt to different valve train.