Author Topic: Microfiber Towels -  (Read 1280 times)

Offline jwc66k

Microfiber Towels -
« on: August 05, 2013, 04:57:26 PM »
At our last Mustang club meeting we had a guest speaker who discussed Microfiber Towels and their related uses. Attached is his flyer and below are some of the points brought up in the discussion. Thanks to Neal for assistance in the discussion points.
Jim

Buying.
Feel the edge to see if it was “melted” to make a seam, and avoid them. Melted edges will scratch painted surfaces. Buy towels with a sewn edge. 
Buy “cut pile” vs. “loop pile” towels. Dirt will come off easier when rinsing with a cut pile towel than with loop pile. The same applies to washing mitts, which will pull dirt off the car when washing.

Cleaning.
Use different towels for body, glass and wheels, and wash them separately, as tire black products (wheel towels) leave residue in the washer.
Wash microfiber towels separately from regular towels and other items.
Use liquid laundry soap.
Don’t use a fabric softener in the washer or the dryer. Fabric softeners will leave an oily residue.
When using a dryer, remove when slightly damp, and then air dry. The heat may melt the fiber. Also, the towels will pick up static electricity in a dryer. Static electricity can transfer to your car when a towel is used and then the car will attract dust.
A worn out body used microfiber towel can be used on windows, and then used on wheels.
If you can find it, use ZEP window cleaner for windows.

Surface Cleaning and Waxing.
Use only car wash soap, don't use any soap not designed for auto paint (i.e. dish soap).
Apply wax and buff sides vertically, and buff horizontal surfaces front to back. The whole process results in better light reflection from each surface, i.e. shine.

Additional steps.
Also discussed was the use of 'clay barring' for surface treatment and glass cleaning. I’ll let someone else describe this process.
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Microfiber Towels -
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 09:27:44 PM »
Great Info Jim, Thanks
Dave
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4