1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1970 Boss

70 Metuchen Boss 302 VIN's and tags

(1/3) > >>

J_Speegle:
Posted the following pictures and information to another site and thought members and lurkers here might benefit from them being posted here too. Much of the information also applies to 70 Mustangs built at the same plant in 1970.

DASH VIN

BUCK TAG

ENGINE VIN

TRANSMISSION VIN

TRANSMISSION ID TAG

UNI-BODY VIN LOCATIONS

UNI-BODY VIN EXAMPLES -Note will go into the mistaken VIN patterns found on many of the 70 NJ hidden body VINs in another post below

JohnB:
A friend is doing some work on a customers B2. Something does not look right!

Any opinion?

Thanks
John

jwc66k:
You should recommend getting a Marti Report.
Jim

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: JohnB on August 29, 2023, 05:04:18 PM ---A friend is doing some work on a customers B2. Something does not look right!

Any opinion?

--- End quote ---

Hard to tell from the pictures, sorry. Are those pictures of both engine compartment VIN's?

Guessing that the Dash VIN is likely the one that the owner of the car has the registration and paperwork that matches and that the hidden numbers are the ones that don't match the dash and paperwork.

NOT OFFERING LEGAL ADVISE but if were me I would be concerned going forward that if I put much money in the car to restore it or repair it I would later be faced by problems costing me more dollars in the future. Yes plants made mistake and sometimes the results were not pretty as far as licensing and the DMVs getting involved. Allot of states in my experience would likely reVIN a car like this so it "conformed" to the laws and requirements. In the past and in some states they have even reused the original VIN if the car had a different front clip but that appears not to be the case in this example.

Marti report would be nice to have but it will only tell us if there was a 70 NJ Boss 302 built with this serial number and you could then compare options to see if the car is likely that car. The Marti report will not prove that the car in front of you is that same car. There is the possibility that the dash tag VIN tag was put on another car. From what we've seen so far this does not appear to be the case only stating and exploring the possibilities

JohnB:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on August 29, 2023, 06:25:25 PM ---Hard to tell from the pictures, sorry. Are those pictures of both engine compartment VIN's?

Guessing that the Dash VIN is likely the one that the owner of the car has the registration and paperwork that matches and that the hidden numbers are the ones that don't match the dash and paperwork.

NOT OFFERING LEGAL ADVISE but if were me I would be concerned going forward that if I put much money in the car to restore it or repair it I would later be faced by problems costing me more dollars in the future. Yes plants made mistake and sometimes the results were not pretty as far as licensing and the DMVs getting involved. Allot of states in my experience would likely reVIN a car like this so it "conformed" to the laws and requirements. In the past and in some states they have even reused the original VIN if the car had a different front clip but that appears not to be the case in this example.

Marti report would be nice to have but it will only tell us if there was a 70 NJ Boss 302 built with this serial number and you could then compare options to see if the car is likely that car. The Marti report will not prove that the car in front of you is that same car. There is the possibility that the dash tag VIN tag was put on another car. From what we've seen so far this does not appear to be the case only stating and exploring the possibilities

--- End quote ---

Would know more tomorrow when I would do an inspection myself!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version