1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1968 Mustang

68 SJ 390 Starter Motor & Solenoid

(1/9) > >>

bullitt68:
Wondering what the correct finishes should be on the starter motor. This is one from West Coast Classic Cougar, but I believe the whole starter was painted after it was assembled, except the nose? Looking for a correct photo as I have not been able to find one.

Also on the WCCC site they do not recommend the concourse solenoid fondly referred to as a POS. Has anyone had luck with another product or are originals the way to go. While correctness is great I do want my car to run and drive and be reliable and drivable. No point in having a perfectly correct car that does not drive or run well imo. Call me crazy!

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: bullitt68 on October 31, 2023, 11:48:38 PM ---Wondering what the correct finishes should be on the starter motor. This is one from West Coast Classic Cougar, but I believe the whole starter was painted after it was assembled, except the nose? Looking for a correct photo as I have not been able to find one.

Also on the WCCC site they do not recommend the concourse solenoid fondly referred to as a POS. Has anyone had luck with another product or are originals the way to go. While correctness is great I do want my car to run and drive and be reliable and drivable. No point in having a perfectly correct car that does not drive or run well imo. Call me crazy!

--- End quote ---
You do not want to copy that starter . It has all of the features of a typical auto parts store after market starter. Keep searching.

bullitt68:

--- Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 31, 2023, 11:56:25 PM ---You do not want to copy that starter . It has all of the features of a typical auto parts store after market starter. Keep searching.

--- End quote ---

This is one from the 428 CJ website. Not sure if there is any difference between the 390 & 428 visually or otherwise. This is how I thought the starter looked, the way Boss Bill described it to me, but no photo.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: bullitt68 on October 31, 2023, 11:59:37 PM ---
This is one from the 428 CJ website. Not sure if there is any difference between the 390 & 428 visually or otherwise.

--- End quote ---
That is a better example but still not detailed correctly. Gasket should be under bendix cover and band clamp. There was typically faint black overspray on the nose cone instead of a defined cut line between the nose cone and the center barrel section as in the picture. If you compare the two pictures you posted you can see some other things that are different between the autoparts store starter and the CJ website one. The CJ website starter is more correct. Stamped engineering number on the 68 and up starters hard to come up with . Fortunately for you the 390 starter is easier to come up with compared to the ultra rare CJ version.

bullitt68:

--- Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 01, 2023, 12:07:06 AM ---That is a better example but still not detailed correctly. Gasket should be under bendix cover and band clamp. There was typically faint black overspray on the nose cone instead of a defined cut line between the nose cone and the center barrel section as in the picture. If you compare the two pictures you posted you can see some other things that are different between the autoparts store starter and the CJ website one. The CJ website starter is more correct. Stamped engineering number on the 68 and up starters hard to come up with . Fortunately for you the 390 starter is easier to come up with compared to the ultra rare CJ version.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Bob. Currently my engineering numbers do not line up, but will see if I can find a good core and then rebuild it. Good point on the SJ version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version