1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

When was change L8 C5OE cast iron water pump phased out to the C6OE version?

(1/4) > >>

21.04:
I've got a FeB 9, '66 assembled hi-po block and the water pump has been changed over the years.  I have not seen a section in the running changes for water pumps and trying to find out whether I should use the C5OE or C6OE cast iron pump?  According to Bob Mannel's book in Chr 5, he indicates the cast iron C5OE pump put in production at CL 8 and put ion late '65 and into '66 production.  Then by the end of '66 production the C6OE pump was exclusively used.  Do we know a more narrow time period the C5OE pump was no longer seen on cars?  Specifically, SJ cars?  Thanks for any help on the topic.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: 21.04 on December 17, 2023, 07:17:30 PM ---I've got a FeB 9, '66 assembled hi-po block and the water pump has been changed over the years.  I have not seen a section in the running changes for water pumps and trying to find out whether I should use the C5OE or C6OE cast iron pump?  According to Bob Mannel's book in Chr 5, he indicates the cast iron C5OE pump put in production at CL 8 and put ion late '65 and into '66 production.  Then by the end of '66 production the C6OE pump was exclusively used.  Do we know a more narrow time period the C5OE pump was no longer seen on cars?  Specifically, SJ cars?  Thanks for any help on the topic.

--- End quote ---
The only 66 cars that I am aware that used the C5 cast iron waterpump were the 66 carryover Shelby (SJ car) which were actually 65 production cars that were updated to 66 specs. My understanding is the C6OE went into use job 1 66.Your Feb 9 hipo block would almost certainly use the C6OE marked pump . So much so that if a concours Judge noticed it (C5OE pump)would expect to be provided with reasonable proof to support its use on a later block like that. Others may think differently.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: 21.04 on December 17, 2023, 07:17:30 PM ---I've got a FeB 9, '66 assembled hi-po block and the water pump has been changed over the years.  I have not seen a section in the running changes for water pumps and trying to find out whether I should use the C5OE or C6OE cast iron pump?  According to Bob Mannel's book in Chr 5, he indicates the cast iron C5OE pump put in production at CL 8 and put ion late '65 and into '66 production.  Then by the end of '66 production the C6OE pump was exclusively used.  Do we know a more narrow time period the C5OE pump was no longer seen on cars?  Specifically, SJ cars?  Thanks for any help on the topic.

--- End quote ---
I read on page 5-35 in 5G5 paragraph I see a sentance that includes "In 1965 and into 1966,' but he was talking about bolts.  I may have missed it but I can't find anything saying the C5OE pump was used in 66. If I missed it please help me find that wording.

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: 21.04 on December 17, 2023, 07:17:30 PM ---I've got a FeB 9, '66 assembled hi-po block and the water pump has been changed over the years. 

--- End quote ---
You also should have a special 6 vane water pump which may or may not have been part of the standard 8 vane water pump change.
Jim

21.04:
The reference in Mannels book was the 5G5 section and note (f) where I thought I found the reference.  Note (f) as Bob Gaines correctly points out identifies bolts and washers through 1966.  I can see how I misread the next sentence in the same note which is, "By the end of the model year, the cast iron pump casting number became C6OE-A."  So as Bob indicated, the C6OE cast pump would have been used day 1 of '66 production.  I really just need a new pair of glasses is all.  Thank you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version