Author Topic: radio wiring  (Read 2007 times)

Offline austr6

radio wiring
« on: October 01, 2016, 05:16:07 AM »
Hello all,
I have just removed a original radio from my dash only to discover that it is not wired to the vehicle. My question is what wires go to the radio as i cannot seem to locate it from a quick inspection. is it just two wires as part of the main dash harness or is it a completely separate harness for the radio? I have found a loose plug behind the glove box that is not connected to anything, it has four wires and one of them carries positive current at all times and it has a "block" style of connector. any help/advise will be greatly appreciated.
kind regards Richard.
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Auto ,Air conditioning, Power Steering
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: radio wiring
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 08:45:57 AM »
Power to the 64.5/66 radios come from a black wire that attaches to the three prong plug coming out of the fuse box.  The light for the radio comes from a three-prong plug located near the ignition switch area.  Ground is provided by a mounting bracket on the back side.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 10:20:53 AM »
Hello all,
I have just removed a original radio from my dash only to discover that it is not wired to the vehicle. My question is what wires go to the radio as i cannot seem to locate it from a quick inspection. is it just two wires as part of the main dash harness or is it a completely separate harness for the radio? I have found a loose plug behind the glove box that is not connected to anything, it has four wires and one of them carries positive current at all times and it has a "block" style of connector. any help/advise will be greatly appreciated.
kind regards Richard.

Maybe the 4-way/hazzard flasher plug? (assuming you are working on a 66)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 12:14:59 PM »
I have found a loose plug behind the glove box that is not connected to anything, it has four wires and one of them carries positive current at all times and it has a "block" style of connector. any help/advise will be greatly appreciated.
I agree. To verify, does your car have an emergency flasher switch in the glove box.
You need to get a set of Osborn Reproductions Mustang Assembly Manuals for your car's year. So far, all your questions would have been answered in the Electrical Manual. To complete the set, you might consider the 64-65 Chassis, and the 64-65 Weld and Sealant Manuals.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 12:37:15 PM »
The 2 way plug connection for a 65 radio.  Speaker has another plug set up.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 03:17:36 PM »
Power to the 64.5/66 radios come from a black wire that attaches to the three prong plug coming out of the fuse box.  The light for the radio comes from a three-prong plug located near the ignition switch area.  Ground is provided by a mounting bracket on the back side.
You also need an extension cable (C5DB-18A919-A) from the three prong connection to the radio for power.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline austr6

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 06:55:38 PM »

Yes it is a May 66 fastback GT. Someone has been fiddling with the car and looks like they have taken off some goodies and swapped the radio for one that does not work.
can anyone supply a photo of the plug end that connects to the Hazard switch so i can confirm that is what this loose plug is.
Thanks.
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Auto ,Air conditioning, Power Steering
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »
This is the connector without wires.  The wire colors would be: white/blue, green/white, green/red, and blue.

Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com