Author Topic: 68’ Headrest latch question  (Read 443 times)

Offline mungus

68’ Headrest latch question
« on: October 27, 2018, 08:41:56 AM »
I’m in the process of reassembling the OEM headrests on my 68 S code...

I noticed that of the 4 latches that bolt to the seat frames, only 2 have the sprung ball bearing fitting inside them, (the thing that “clicks” and locks the headrest at whatever height the user wants).

Is that normal? Shouldn’t all 4 of them have the spring loaded ball bearing fitting? As all 4 of the posts have the notches in them... I only ask as if it was just one missing then it would be obvious they should all have them, but as it is there is a possibility in my mind that perhaps there is only one locking latch per side?

There are so few of these factory headrests around that I can’t find another set to check on and the only photos I’ve found are on the West Coast Cougar parts site, which manages to hide some of the spring fittings in their listing.

The LH & RH brackets / latches have different PN's despite the fact that all one has to do top reverse them is undo on large thin nut and flip it over. That is one reason I'm thinking they might have been made as I found them.

LH - C8ZZ-65610B11-B (x2)
RH - C8ZZ-65610B10-B (x2)

Anybody know them well enough to tell me?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 10:31:27 PM by mungus »
March 14th 1968 - Metuchen S code Fastback
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline ruppstang

Re: 68’ Headrest latch question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 10:40:25 PM »
I have a 68 with headrests. Both sides have the ball locks. I do not think they would work properly with only one.
Marty

Offline mungus

Re: 68’ Headrest latch question
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 01:44:41 AM »
Thanks.

I fitted them to see and mine do seem to work OK with just one lock per side, the friction seems to keep it in place OK. But I'll see about finding a way to get a ball lock in there, as its easy enough to replace them in situ.
March 14th 1968 - Metuchen S code Fastback
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.