Author Topic: New To Me 67 C Code Convertible  (Read 1054 times)

Offline carguytroy

New To Me 67 C Code Convertible
« on: December 17, 2021, 12:26:05 AM »
I just picked up a 1967 C Code convertible. It?s been parked in a garage since the mid nineties. Unfortunately it?s been painted a couple of times. Was white originally, then blue, then burgundy. Underneath looks to be great. Floors, rails, shock towers, trunk all are solid. Rear quarters are solid other than a rust hole on the drivers side. Fenders and doors are good to. Just started really going over the car after getting it home. Have a few questions if that?s okay.

Has GTA badges on it but the marti report I got with it doesn?t say anything about it being a GTA. It should say that right?

It Does say it had a Sport Sprint package but not sure what that is. Is that related to the GTA air totally different?

Top is in great shape so I?m pretty sure it?s been replaced. How could I tell of that is original or replaced?

Is there a photo gallery on here already of an original or concours resto of one of these? I would like to look at something like that to determine what I have here totally if that makes any sense. I have more questions but I don?t want to wear you all out. I hope I put this in the right section. Thanks for the help in advance. I have another car I bought, 67 S code convertible, a few years ago as a basket case so I?m hoping this car will help me get the other one back together right. Other than the 80?s ?restoration?(loose term. Paint job that?s about it) all underneath, engine compartment etc looks to be untouched. I hope so anyway.

1967 S code Convertible
Build Date 7-1967
San Jose
Vintage Burgundy

1967 C Code Convertible
Build date 7-1967
San Jose
White

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: New To Me 67 C Code Convertible
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 02:20:10 AM »
Considering the multiple paint jobs, someone probably added the GTA badges.  The Marti report would note if it was originally a GT.  The Sprint package usually included the top lid of the air cleaner in chrome, a blinker hood and some other trim like the moldings around the back of the trunk lid and quarter extensions.

There may be some cars in the Unrestored section on the forum.  Keep in mind that you'll want to look at cars built within a few months of yours at the same assembly plant. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 02:40:54 PM by CharlesTurner »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline dave6768

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 12:50:43 PM »
https://www.mustangspecs.com/1967-mustang-sports-sprint package included:
Chrome air cleaner cover
vinyl covered shift handle (if auto)
turn signal hood
rocker panel moldings
Wheel covers
white wall tires

Don't know that I've ever seen a GT that was also a Sprorts Sprint.
If it didn't call it out on the Marti report, it's not a GT.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 12:53:06 PM by dave6768 »

Offline carguytroy

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 07:00:37 PM »
That makes sense. I figured that whoever painted it just put the badges on it and I didn't think that a GT car would be a C code 2bbl car anyway. Think I'll spend the money on the super duper Marti Report and see what comes back. Grabbing this car will help me with my S code convertible that I bought in pieces. That was the idea anyway and to have one to drive a bit to keep me motivated. The whole underneath of it looks great. no rust issues other that a little in the quarters. Pretty happy with the find so far. 
1967 S code Convertible
Build Date 7-1967
San Jose
Vintage Burgundy

1967 C Code Convertible
Build date 7-1967
San Jose
White

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 08:13:17 PM »
That makes sense. I figured that whoever painted it just put the badges on it and I didn't think that a GT car would be a C code 2bbl car anyway. Think I'll spend the money on the super duper Marti Report and see what comes back. Grabbing this car will help me with my S code convertible that I bought in pieces. That was the idea anyway and to have one to drive a bit to keep me motivated. The whole underneath of it looks great. no rust issues other that a little in the quarters. Pretty happy with the find so far.

67 was one year where you could get a 2V GT.

It included power disc brakes, fog lights (switch and wiring would be there), Heavy duty suspension (bigger sway bar and springs -- sway bar is easiest to measure).
And GT logo gas cap, GT logo on the fenders or GT/A if an automatic.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 08:22:23 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 09:32:57 PM »
Also, folks don't like to hear this, but a C or A code GT/GTA in '67 came from the factory with single exhaust.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 09:25:13 AM »
Also, folks don't like to hear this, but a C or A code GT/GTA in '67 came from the factory with single exhaust.
*true
People don't like to hear this!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2021, 12:11:07 PM »
[Covering my ears] La la la la la la la
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline carguytroy

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 12:00:23 PM »
Another couple of questions if I may.

Car has a console in it now. I?m guessing it?s been added. What would designate that in the Marti report?
I found some good examples of the sport sprint pkg in Mustang Times. That answered a couple of other questions. The car hasn?t been registered or driven I?m told since 1994. Figure I?ll get things working and go from there. Carb is froze up but the engine turns fine and has good compression. One thing a time I guess.

I think they were going for the GTA clone idea or just pass it off as one years ago, but I would like to put it back to what it should be. Sorry for the lack of knowledge. I know just enough to get in trouble.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 12:30:40 PM by carguytroy »
1967 S code Convertible
Build Date 7-1967
San Jose
Vintage Burgundy

1967 C Code Convertible
Build date 7-1967
San Jose
White

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 12:26:26 PM »
Another couple of questions if I may.

Car has a console in it now. I?m guessing it?s been added. What would designate that in the Marti report?
What Would the wheel covers look like that came with the sport sprint package?
Actually any pics of that package would be helpful is anyone has a few handy.

I think they were going for the GTA clone idea or just pass it off as one years ago, but I would like to put it back to what it should be. Sorry for the lack of knowledge. I know just enough to get in trouble.

The console was a separate option, so would be a line item on the Marti report if the car came with one when new.

GT clones have been around since at least the 70's, nothing unusual.  There's only a few cars that are hard to detect being a factory GT, which are 65-66 K codes, since they already came with factory dual exhaust.