Author Topic: San Jose SCJ starter solenoid  (Read 209 times)

Offline 69supercj

San Jose SCJ starter solenoid
« on: June 30, 2022, 09:06:06 PM »
Is anyone repopping a really good and accurate one of these? I think mine is original, its a C7 part number but the metal is starting to rust a bit and the bakelite is showing its age.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: San Jose SCJ starter solenoid
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 10:42:45 PM »
Both the flat and upright were installed on 69 models built at San Jose but pretty certain your looking for the upright style that has been reproduced for decades

Never tried (though I should) re-plating the bracket to see if you could do that without detaching from the main body. Not sure if the process would affect the Bakelite. From there I've have done and seen others do a clear epoxy clear coat. Not easy but it can improve or save some marginal ones IMHO. Have also polished the bakelite in the past also with great success

As for reproduction we use to see allot of complaints on the sites about them but its not posted as often from what I've seen. Maybe some more recent purchases can share their experiences.

Don't have one of each here to do a side by side but in general cross the board for all of them I would double check to see if the posts are the right design and threads as well as the attaching hardware for them for your time period. Of course repos will not have the date codes but almost impossible to see that once its in the car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 01:05:19 AM »
Both the flat and upright were installed on 69 models built at San Jose but pretty certain your looking for the upright style that has been reproduced for decades

Never tried (though I should) re-plating the bracket to see if you could do that without detaching from the main body. Not sure if the process would affect the Bakelite. From there I've have done and seen others do a clear epoxy clear coat. Not easy but it can improve or save some marginal ones IMHO. Have also polished the bakelite in the past also with great success

As for reproduction we use to see allot of complaints on the sites about them but its not posted as often from what I've seen. Maybe some more recent purchases can share their experiences.

Don't have one of each here to do a side by side but in general cross the board for all of them I would double check to see if the posts are the right design and threads as well as the attaching hardware for them for your time period. Of course repos will not have the date codes but almost impossible to see that once its in the car
Yes you can re-plate and it can be done without effecting the Bakelite ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 01:08:52 AM »
I thought I would add that there are somethings that can be done to improve the look of the Bakelite if it isn't too weathered however it doesn't take much to put it in the "not much you can do" category.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby