Author Topic: Aftermarket Underdash Wiring Availability and the Future of the Hobby  (Read 618 times)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
As most of you know, I have a side business refurbishing Mustang wiring harnesses but not concours quality.  This year has been most unusual, as the demand has increased 30-50%, and over half of my work is on 69/70's rather than a more typical 20-25%.  What gives?
One of my customers called me and said he can't find any 69 (or 70) underdash harnesses from the various Mustang vendors.  Sure enough, I go onto NPD website, and everything is out of stock (except aftermarket non-factory wiring kits).  My guess is that AMP, the main manufacturer of aftermarket wiring, is having problems with the supply chain.  This is most unusual, since they have been providing wiring for decades now for various model lines. 

While their misfortune is my benefit, I've also seen the availability of cores dry up in the past few years.  Most small Mustang repair shops/stores have gone under; major junk yards have disappeared, etc.  I went to at least 4 very large Mustang yards in Phoenix circa 2005; there are none now.  My prediction is that cores of all types (e.g. suspension, steering boxes, AC units, etc.) will continue to dry up to the point where prices and/or availability will become as difficult as finding NOS components.  I always thought my business would dry up due to lack of demand as we all age and the younger generation moves to newer style cars, but demand is still strong.  I now predict my business will fail due to lack of cores.  I'm already almost out of 70's and 71 underdash harnesses. 

I know that my comments are not strictly concours-related, but what I see as the future will also affect the concours crowd as well.
May we all live and prosper...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Aftermarket Underdash Wiring Availability and the Future of the Hobby
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 02:16:01 AM »
To keep this a general discussion I agree that with the reduction of wrecking yards many of us have had to adjust. One thing that has always surprised me is that builders of 60's and up cars ignore the benefit (in general) of buying parts cars like most builders of cars from the 20-50's. Most have lacked the ability to see the great benefits for such purchases in the past and currently. Especially in the recent past and before that since almost everything has creeped up. Such a purchase would help with the wiring issue to a point especially in the situation you mention. The other thing is that most owners will have the loom or looms in their car to start, with so most of the time they will be able to just send that out for restoration. 

Locally we didn't see much NOS parts here locally since the dealerships didn't see it as a savings account and space was more valuable to them. Instead we had allot more cars and better conditions that most.  Think I've only ever bought one dash loom and a few dozen minor looms. At least out here the wrecking yard finds were better since they were out of the sunlight and of course no mold, mildew and in my experience not allot of rodent issues

With every issue and problem there an opportunity. Likely started around when the wheel was discovered  ::)  Don't know for sure - wasn't there  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Aftermarket Underdash Wiring Availability and the Future of the Hobby
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 11:53:05 PM »
Agree with Jeff and have bought parts cars for specific restorations, even getting as close to days or a week or 2 of the parts car and the car being restored, both from the same assembly plant.  The right parts car can be a gold mine of parts and reference details.

I'm guessing there are a great number of 69/70 coupes out there that are still reasonably priced and have wiring harnesses and many other useful pieces.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin