Author Topic: scams  (Read 482 times)

Offline truetriplex

scams
« on: October 17, 2022, 09:33:40 AM »
Has anyone ever followed through in trying to get rid of scammers? I had someone approach me with a car that they thought that I would be interested in. A 1970 GT500, completely done, but they needed the money for medical reasons, and offered to sell it for $15,000. Obvious scam. So what law enforcement agency would handle this since I am in one state, and they are in another? FBI, my state's attorney general, or does anyone in law enforcement even care? I would really like to get these individuals off the streets and protect others from getting ripped off.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: scams
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 04:26:43 PM »
Often the scammers are outside the US and because of this and the low dollar amount (relative to other things taking place) normally makes this a non-starter for any of the agencies. Very likely the cost of resources verses a meaningful out come would come into play. Agencies, even local, don't have the time, dollars or people to handle everything that is going on. Example locally. A few weeks back I witnessed a, accident that a lady caused that totaled two vehicles. Likely to the tune of $80 between the two cars. When I talked to the officer they told me that they were not even taking witness statements nor writing a report since no one went to the hospital. They will just let the insurance companies "fight it out"  Similar thing happen years ago when a truck dropped a ladder on the freeway in front of me, putting my car into the center divider where I rolled it a number of times. That time the officer wrote in the report "Did cite the driver since he came back to the site"  and "Will let the insurance companies work it out". As far as this sort of scam I would bet that there are tens of thousands that take place every day making it almost impossible to react to

Others may have other experiences. Hopefully they are first person and not something they were told or over heard
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)