Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

Alternator case restoration

(1/2) > >>

lightwtjet:
My alternator looks dingy. I read a number of DIY restoration videos and they used a variety of case treatments- wire wheel / glass bead blasting / flat aluminum paint to renew the case. Which one works best? Pictures would help us.  Thanks

J_Speegle:
You need to find a gentle l method of cleaning the case once it disassembled. Wire wheel will not restore the finish nor will most of the blasting options. Walnut hulls at low pressure would likely be best. Rattle can paint will look OK short term but will discolor and possible crack and peel at some point.

Consider some of the methods suggested for aluminum intake restoration here on this site for more ideas, like deep cleaning and brushing with a nylon brush. As often happens there is no easy button or short quick path to doing a good restoration

rockhouse66:
I think vapor blasting is best option for aluminum to retain the original look.  Or, of course, you could buy a new authentic looking alternator from Dead Nuts On.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: rockhouse66 on January 14, 2024, 09:43:24 AM ---I think vapor blasting is best option for aluminum to retain the original look.  Or, of course, you could buy a new authentic looking alternator from Dead Nuts On.

--- End quote ---
The vapor blasting typically leaves too shiny of a finish at least on aluminum intakes compared to original. I haven't  seen that process used on a alternator case however logically it would follow that one could expect the same results . My rebuilder bead blasts them and then tumbles them in a stainless steel media. The surface of the case parts look like the NOS alternators I have had that I compared them to.

Daven:
I've done a few alternator cases bead blasting with fresh beads and then tumbling, the same process as Bob Gaines mentioned.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version