Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

Alternator case restoration

<< < (2/2)

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 14, 2024, 12:46:57 PM ---The vapor blasting typically leaves too shiny of a finish at least on aluminum intakes compared to original. I haven't  seen that process used on a alternator case however logically it would follow that one could expect the same results . My rebuilder bead blasts them and then tumbles them in a stainless steel media. The surface of the case parts look like the NOS alternators I have had that I compared them to.

--- End quote ---

Wonder if a light acid (wheel cleaner) cleaning would knock the shiny vapor blasting look to get closer to a correct finish/look. Don't see why it shouldn't.

That has worked for both of us in other efforts

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on January 16, 2024, 05:19:17 PM ---Wonder if a light acid (wheel cleaner) cleaning would knock the shiny vapor blasting look to get closer to a correct finish/look. Don't see why it shouldn't.

That has worked for both of us in other efforts

--- End quote ---
Good possibility. I don't have a vapor blasted part to check out if that is a viable alternative. Hopefully someone reading can give it a try. If anyone try's this I would suggest using ether the wire wheel cleaner or the one designed for cast aluminum wheels . That is the aluminum wheel cleaner that says don't use on polished aluminum wheels.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version