Author Topic: Help with Date Code?  (Read 4168 times)

Offline jeff8877

Help with Date Code?
« on: December 31, 2014, 12:07:50 PM »
Here is a pic of my space saver spare with date code...

If anyone can translate this into a date would appreciate it. The 6 12 I would assume is June 12th but not sure, maybe it is a 9? And no idea what the B is that is stamped upside down relative to the numbers (could it be for Buffalo stamping plant)? What about year?

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:06:32 PM by jeff8877 »

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: Help with Date Code?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 01:47:54 PM »
One or two fill nipples?  What is the center hub diameter, that one looks like it could be the larger hub? Larger being typical for 1970's cars like Granada.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline jeff8877

Re: Help with Date Code? Another pic added of wheel.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 07:19:58 PM »
Here is another pic. Diameter of center hub is 2 3/4". Appreciate the time.

Jeff

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 07:35:19 PM »
............. And no idea what the B is that is stamped upside down relative to the numbers (could it be for Buffalo stamping plant)? What about year?

B may be the shift. Wheels were most often produced by out side vendors/contracts

Not unusual for a year not to be included in stamped items - just depends on part and who was doing the marking (company)

Temporary Use Only IMHO is the give away to the time period.

Label and the Yellow warning also ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 02:13:04 PM »
That doesn't look anything like the one in my '69 Cougar, which was listed on the dealer invoice.  Mine has an orange rim, and codes stamped on every spoke nub. I have no idea what the codes mean, several are one letter or number, only one is two characters.  Sorry.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 04:49:33 PM »
............ Mine has an orange rim, and codes stamped on every spoke nub..........

Sounds like you might have a Mopar example there. Not unusual for owners in the past to use these
Jeff Speegle

Offline jeff8877

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 07:20:45 PM »
The rim is stamped Fomoco on first pic...

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 07:22:09 PM »
Well Jeff, I guess anything is possible in a car that old and since it was dealer installed, and the wheel bolt pattern is the same between Ford and Mopar.  But the inflator can is a Ford unit…...
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 09:52:19 PM »
Well Jeff, I guess anything is possible in a car that old and since it was dealer installed, and the wheel bolt pattern is the same between Ford and Mopar.  But the inflator can is a Ford unit…...
The two typical factory /dealer versions sizes  seen are 7.35 X14 or later F78X15 .  What size is your tire? If it is a 7.75 X14 which it looks like that is for a Boss 429. I don't think I have ever seen or heard of a factory /dealer  orange rim before and most likely  it came original in a mopar trunk. Special Ed would most likely be interested in trading you for the correct one for your car as he deals in the B9 stuff.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jeff8877

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 10:07:42 PM »
Hi Bob,

My space saver is F78-14 which is the correct size for my 73 Mach 1. Was trying to figure out if date code was correct for car but decoding it seems to be a mystery.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

Jeff

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 11:33:23 PM »
Hi Bob,

My space saver is F78-14 which is the correct size for my 73 Mach 1. Was trying to figure out if date code was correct for car but decoding it seems to be a mystery.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

Jeff
My question was directed to mikeljgt500kr as the quoted text indicated. Sorry I can't help with your date code.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 11:58:16 PM »
Actually Bob, this is an F78X14, the XR7 R code Cougar came with 14" FR70 radials. But if Special Ed is interested in this, I would be willing to talk.  I also have not seen anything but black rims on Fords, so this one looked odd, even for a Mopar, my '70 AAR 'Cuda had a black rim 15" space saver.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 12:32:43 AM »
Actually Bob, this is an F78X14, the XR7 R code Cougar came with 14" FR70 radials. But if Special Ed is interested in this, I would be willing to talk.  I also have not seen anything but black rims on Fords, so this one looked odd, even for a Mopar, my '70 AAR 'Cuda had a black rim 15" space saver.
Mike,I thought I was reading 7.75 in the picture of orange rim tire in the trunk. That one Ed would be interested in not the F78 X14 .  The F78 is the most common  . 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 05:40:38 PM »

Additional note - the yellow decal I think was a 72 thing, sent out to all registered owners of cars and new cars

Kind of like the CAUTION FAN decal deal
Jeff Speegle