1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 Mustang

Hood pin cable attaching point - San Jose

(1/4) > >>

Buzz489:
Where do the hood pin cables attach? Mine are currently attached the front hood bumper stops. I have no holes next to the studs as I have seen on other cars. I do have some unused holes towards the fenders about 6 inches away. SJ July built Mach 1.

J_Speegle:
Given the plant and production period your current location is likely how and where they were originally attached. Looking at about another 50 examples it appears that at least a couple of shifts were attaching them there in the later half of production at San Jose in 69

A few unrestored examples from just prior to when your car was finished.

rockhouse66:
Interesting detail! I didn't know that SJ went to this scheme.  Sort of lazy!  My old 3/69 car was not that way.

Buzz489:
Thank you Mr. Speegle.  So as for the small holes about 6 inches from the studs, did they have a purpose?

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Buzz489 on February 25, 2023, 08:48:14 PM ---Thank you Mr. Speegle.  So as for the small holes about 6 inches from the studs, did they have a purpose?

--- End quote ---

The outer often oblong holes in the radiator supports first started showing up in 67 production for some yet undetermined reason. May have been related to the machine that held them in the forming machine or a purpose in the bucking fixture used to hold the panels as the factory constructed be sub assembly

Since they are often oblong but not always and not on all radiator supports IMHO its likely some feature of a specific stamping machine at the stamping plant, or a couple of them that makes them different

The dies were swapped out of machines as those plants stamped out hundreds or thousands of panels in a given period then swapped out the dies for ones for a different panel (or even type of Ford product) and when on for the next need and order

Here are pictures of two 67 San Jose radiator support the outer holes and two pictures (bottom ones) from 69 San Jose that I grabbed first. Plenty more in my files. All unused in the final car though you can find one or two  ::)  "restored" Mach Is where someone decided that was the correct and original location for their lanyard cable attachment point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version