Author Topic: Differential ID 1966 K code.  (Read 332 times)

Offline Frank Bullitt

Differential ID 1966 K code.
« on: April 07, 2024, 04:41:31 PM »
Hi All, I am after some help please. I am missing the axle data tag. I have the correct 9" axle for my K code.

The differential has been taken out of the axle casing and the door data tag shows the axle as an E code, When you decode this it says the axle ratio should be a 3L50 With a model code of WCZ-T.

The differential with a code E and a 3.50 to 1 ratio should be a limited slip diff. How can I tell if I have got a limited slip diff fitted?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Differential ID 1966 K code.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 05:10:13 PM »
If I understand correctly then look to see where the ring gear is bolted to the carrier. IF the carrier has sunken areas surrounding where the bolts go through then you have a limited slip. If not then its an open

If you have the 3rd member out and visible
Open style on right

Not the only way but one of a number of quick ID features

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Frank Bullitt

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 05:26:21 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the quick reply, I believe I have the correct one but will look next weekend when I am back there.

Thanks again.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 10:23:45 PM »
To prove you have a limited slip differential, the next time you have the car up on a lift, put it in neutral and spin one of the rear wheels.  I believe the other rear wheel will rotate in the same direction; if open rear end, it will rotate in the opposite direction.
I believe this is correct.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Frank Bullitt

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 01:37:46 PM »
Midlife, yes thanks but the diff is out of the axle casing at the moment!

Offline 66TotalPerf

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 12:33:25 PM »
Easiest way to ID limited slip on the bench is from Jeff's left 2 photos, the limited slip units have the bolt heads recessed into the casting. However, with the unit removed, wouldn't be a bad idea to at least test breakaway torque and if low replace clutch packs.

-Brent
'66 GT350 Tribute, '66 F100 4x4

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2024, 03:06:09 PM »
Easiest way to ID limited slip on the bench is from Jeff's left 2 photos, the limited slip units have the bolt heads recessed into the casting. However, with the unit removed, wouldn't be a bad idea to at least test breakaway torque and if low replace clutch packs.

-Brent
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2024, 05:50:40 PM »
Typically on a 55 + year old car the differential is shot. At a minimum you usually have to replace all the bearings and clutches. Not everyone knows that you must also use Ford Friction Modifier with the conventional oil - do not use synthetic gear oil or the clutches will be toast.

If you are lucky the differential can be saved using the above but often the differential is cracked, gears are worn etc. Have someone rebuild it properly and you will not have to worry about it in the future. New axle bearings and gaskets are needed too.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock