Author Topic: Convertible Top Pads  (Read 146 times)

Offline Building 3

Convertible Top Pads
« on: April 11, 2024, 11:51:15 AM »
I am looking through the 2024 MCA Concours Trailered/Driven judging rules to see what I need to do prior to the judging season. There is one entry that stumped me. On page 1, section 1. E. it says: "Convertible top pads, correct canvas material." I inspected the interior of my top and I can't see any padding material. The interior or underside of the top is just the black canvas material of the top itself. Can someone tell me what I am missing and perhaps a photo? Were these pads supposed to come with the top or are they extra parts that should have been installed.  Of course, the question now is, can they be installed after the top is in?  Thank you.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Convertible Top Pads
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 07:31:13 PM »
The canvas type material is what holds the top frame bows to the correct spacing before the top goes on.  Many aftermarket ones in the past were smooth cloth material, whereas the original was a thicker textured, like canvas material.  There are 4 pieces total, 2 long on each side and the quarter pads.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 08:14:15 PM »
To add to the conversation and for others in the future

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Building 3

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 12:53:40 PM »
Thank you. this is very helpful. I checked my top. Yes, I do have these pads, but they are the same material as the top. they are not as coarse as the material shown in the second photo. So, my question is: How are these attached, and can I slip out the ones I have and slip in a more correct material? Or does the whole top need to come off and start over? Thans again and for your quick response.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.