Author Topic: 1969 shelby fender bolts  (Read 2149 times)

Offline 1970shelbyguy

1969 shelby fender bolts
« on: March 21, 2015, 12:01:23 PM »
are the "flag" version bolts correct for the fender tops -  so many different markings on those bolts ! - are the shock tower cover bolts the same as the fender tops?  seeing fenders were installed at a o smith could they be using a different batch of bolts?   june 69 gt500
1970 gt500  grabber blue  june/69     1970  boss 302  metuchen  dec/69

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1969 shelby fender bolts
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 12:40:55 PM »
are the "flag" version bolts correct for the fender tops -  so many different markings on those bolts ! - are the shock tower cover bolts the same as the fender tops?  seeing fenders were installed at a o smith could they be using a different batch of bolts?   june 69 gt500
"Flag" fender bolts were typically the norm early or late . I have seen some anomalies.  The coil spring cover bolts had variations. Typically the flag style on most and the flat hex head with washer RCS(?) makers mark on later produced cars . I am traveling and don't have access to my notes. Maybe Spec Ed will comment. The covers were a Dearborn thing not a AO Smith thing. The same flat hex head with washer is also the only other style of fender bolt that I have seen but I have not seen but a few examples like that on fenders and think it was uncommon.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 01:00:58 PM »
"Flag" fender bolts were typically the norm early or late . I have seen some anomalies.  The coil spring cover bolts had variations. Typically the flag style on most and the flat hex head with washer RCS(?) makers mark on later produced cars . I am traveling and don't have access to my notes. Maybe Spec Ed will comment. The covers were a Dearborn thing not a AO Smith thing. The same flat hex head with washer is also the only other style of fender bolt that I have seen but I have not seen but a few examples like that on fenders and think it was uncommon.
found a pic
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 01:02:18 PM »
safe to say then just go with  the flags- that's what i have installed.   how about hood latch support and those on the hood and hinges.  might as wel cover all bases as my car is nearing completion -finally!

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 07:33:01 AM »
Have also seen combination of flag and RSC on coil spring covers. RSC are not reproduced
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline specialed

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 11:36:30 AM »
I have metal trays of bolts out of kk plant & Dearborn plant with all types of the head markings & I don't thing ford was worried about which brand of bolt went in certain place but more about the size of the washer & the 2 different lengths of those bolts but the assembly line workers were onlyworried about getting cars out the door asap.   The  2 upper rad bracket bolts was installed down the line when big block rad or bigger rad for a/c cars or b2s used that upper bracket so those 2 inner bolts could hhave been different than the 2 outer bolts that all cars got when rad support bracket was installed earlier .  also on the 69 Shelby fenders installed at aosmith they used that thick sealant under the fiberglass fenders & may have needed the longer bolts.  anybody compared the head markings brand verses the length?

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 12:14:28 PM »
i went back in my "collection" of bolts and came across two RSC bolts that were painted med blue metallic off my metuchen -dec/69 boss 302.  it's the shorter length and washer dia is 1 1/8"  - bigger than the normal fender bolts.  may have been on the hood- the rsc pair i have are flat across the top- not concave