Author Topic: 1967 289 engine mount insulators  (Read 4495 times)

Offline 67gta289

1967 289 engine mount insulators
« on: August 03, 2015, 09:42:56 PM »
Looking at my engine mount insulators, and have some questions and observations.

1. Note the green paint on the insulators.  One is much more noticeable, one is faint.  Both green, both same part number.  Anyone see this before?

2. Speaking of part numbers, they are the same at C7ZA-6038-F.  In the MPC these are listed for the convertible (76), and the -E part for coupe and FB.  Is this an error?  Should I be looking for -E or -F?

3. Not surprisingly, there is some cracking going on in the rubber.  Do you recommend replacement?  Are NOS rare?

Thanks, John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Texas Swede

Re: 1967 289 engine mount insulators
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 11:30:44 PM »
Many years ago in Sweden, I replaced the insulators on my 67 Shelby with a 289 HiPo
and bought aftermarket for 67/68 Mustangs with small blocks. When I got them,
they didn't fit. The long bolts and the holes wouldn't line up. Had to order NOS for 67 and they fit perfectly and are still on the car more than 30 years later.
NOS are probably difficult to find nowadays but I suggest you give a shot.
Texas Swede

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 12:38:08 AM »
One of Ford Motor Company's better ideas was to change the small block motor mounts for 1967. The brackets and insulators have a different angle and that's all you need to remember. Only 67 will fit a 67. Finding them is a problem as many suppliers would not recognize the difference. The late 66 and 68 on (I think to 70) mounts and insulators are interchangeable however. This subject has been discussed on this forum, so use your friendly search feature. I don't remember whether the convertible mounts raise the engine or lower it, but I believe it has to do with the brace plate in the drive shaft tunnel.   
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 06:28:07 AM »
I've got two sets of correct mounts for the 67 small block.   My questions were focusing on the insulator.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 07:13:10 AM »
I've got two sets of correct mounts for the 67 small block.   My questions were focusing on the insulator.

I see your question is asking "Do I use the "-F" or the "-E" insulator mounts on my fastback?"
In the MPC, "-F" are called out as "for 76~convertibles, all 4 you have are "-F" but you have a fastback (same as coupe) that the MPC calls out as using the "-E" insulators. So you are simply asking "Will these fit or should I keep looking and while we're at it, these have cracks so if I should I be looking, what should I be looking for?"

I will only say that previous to your question here, I understood the 67-70 289/302 convertibles ALL used the C7ZA-6038-E, otherwise 67 ONLY small block version motor mount insulator, also that these were supposed to be the same for coupes/fastbacks/convertibles ONLY in 67. Your question seems valid when looking at the MPC image you provided (image #1). It now makes me question what I understood too. FWIW, I have two pairs, one usable used and another pair not usable used...ALL 4 are "C7ZA-6038-E" and I know one set were definately off a 67 Fastback 289.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:15:45 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 03:30:35 PM »
Looking at my engine mount insulators, and have some questions and observations.

1. Note the green paint on the insulators.  One is much more noticeable, one is faint.  Both green, both same part number.  Anyone see this before?

2. Speaking of part numbers, they are the same at C7ZA-6038-F.  In the MPC these are listed for the convertible (76), and the -E part for coupe and FB.  Is this an error?  Should I be looking for -E or -F?

3. Not surprisingly, there is some cracking going on in the rubber.  Do you recommend replacement?  Are NOS rare?

Thanks, John
John, you can make ether one work in ether application from my observations. With that said the if you use the E (fastback coupe )version in a convertible you may have some clearance problems most notably from what I have seen with air cleaner and or A/C compressor. I don't know about exhaust through convertible plate clearance but maybe there too. I believe the "F" mount allows the engine to sit lower in the cradle . The "E" version will fit ether way without a issue but it is best to use the correct mount for the correct application. The" F " mounts are relative hard to find.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 07:29:10 PM »
Thanks Bob.

The collective posts got me thinking (perhaps I should do that more often...sooner...) but I went through my records and found that I swapped out my originals (due to pitting) with a clean donor coupe.  The coupe was untouched (at least it appeared that way) but that is where the -F's come from.  Perhaps that car had a change out.

I still have the donor car, so next week or two should be able to pull my old ones back out and see what they were.  Based on what I've read, I assume -E since the engine had never been out of the car.

More to come.

Almost forgot, based on replies it seems like I probably won't find NOS, so will probably have to (cringe) go aftermarket.  Any lesser of two evils out there?
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline diesunddas123

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 08:22:08 AM »
Hello from Germany!

I have a little problem to find a replacement for the worn out engine mounts of my 67 Convertible with 289 SB engine.

What I found on the car is labeled as C7ZA-6038-F (see pictures).

I ordered 2 set of mounts from a German parts dealer  but neither the one nor the other fits.
They called one version the higher version (shown on the left) and the other the lower version (shwon on the right). My old mount is in the middle.

From what I understand from this (old) thread here is the following:
a) The 67 model got new frame brackets (the part that is bolted to the frame and takes the engine mount). Reason was the introduction of the big block. Frame brackets were identical for SB and BB.
b) The 67 SB got a new version of the engine mount to be compatible with the new frame brackets. This mounts are the "F" version that I found on my car.
c) In 68 the frame brackets changed again and allowed the re-use of engine mounts from 66 for the SB.
d) As the SB engine mounts for the 67 model are used only one year there are no reproduction parts available. To use the available engine mounts the frame brackets need to be replaced by 68 ones.

Is that summary correct?
Or are there correct replacement mounts for the "F" version available in the meantime?

Hope you have some help for me. Spring is coming soon :-)

Have a nice day

Michael
67 Mustang Convertible 289 2V C4

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 11:59:03 AM »
Hello from Germany!

I have a little problem to find a replacement for the worn out engine mounts of my 67 Convertible with 289 SB engine.

What I found on the car is labeled as C7ZA-6038-F (see pictures).

I ordered 2 set of mounts from a German parts dealer  but neither the one nor the other fits.
They called one version the higher version (shown on the left) and the other the lower version (shwon on the right). My old mount is in the middle.

From what I understand from this (old) thread here is the following:
a) The 67 model got new frame brackets (the part that is bolted to the frame and takes the engine mount). Reason was the introduction of the big block. Frame brackets were identical for SB and BB.
b) The 67 SB got a new version of the engine mount to be compatible with the new frame brackets. This mounts are the "F" version that I found on my car.
c) In 68 the frame brackets changed again and allowed the re-use of engine mounts from 66 for the SB.
d) As the SB engine mounts for the 67 model are used only one year there are no reproduction parts available. To use the available engine mounts the frame brackets need to be replaced by 68 ones.

Is that summary correct?
Or are there correct replacement mounts for the "F" version available in the meantime?

Hope you have some help for me. Spring is coming soon :-)

Have a nice day

Michael
Michael ,I think "D" will ultimately solve your problem if you can't source the correct engine side mounts. Many people have done the switch over the years.FYI people sell the 67 chassis side mounts for use on 67-70 big block Mustangs. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline diesunddas123

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 04:54:50 PM »
Bob, thanks a lot for your replay.

The "D" version does not require any further modification to the car?
The actual chassis mounts / frame brackets can be used?

If so where can I find the D mounts?

Michael

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 06:37:54 PM »
Bob, thanks a lot for your replay.

The "D" version does not require any further modification to the car?
The actual chassis mounts / frame brackets can be used?

If so where can I find the D mounts?

Michael
Michael, you shouldn't have to do any other modifications when using the chassis mounts from another 68,69 or 70 SB Mustang. Motor mounts should be much easier to find with those. Of course you can always modify the ones you have as the the only difference is the location of the bolt hole for the motor mount bolt on the chassis bracket . Make no mistake that requires some pretty exact measurements . That is more commonly done to change a SB mount into ones that can be used on a BB. Changing them out with different ones will be much easier to do . Just mention it given your location and maybe difficulty finding donors.

Offline diesunddas123

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 08:57:15 AM »
Thanks for the hint with the modification.

It will be difficult to find an original chassis mount from a younger Mustang here. Not that much cars here where these parts are not required any more.

I found these reproduction parts at CJ Pony Parts and as well some German shops:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/motor-mount-kit-small-block-v8-1965-1970/p/MMK6/
https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-motor-mount-bracket-engine-frame-side-for-1966-plus-style-motor-mounts-pair-small-block-v8-1965-1970/p/EFB8/

From there description it should solve my problem and should allow me to use the new mount shown on the left of my pictures. Okay, it is not original... but I have no idea where to look for a 1968 chassis mount :-(

Michael

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 12:41:07 PM »
This Ebay seller has what looks like a serviceable pair of used -E insulators.
His ad is mistaken in the application as being for convertible.  They are for coupe or fastback.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CONVERTIBLE-1967-1969-Mustang-289-302-motor-mount-engine-bracket-insulator-1968/184111719907?hash=item2adde9e5e3%3Ag%3AafkAAOSwlTBeD0uj&LH_ItemCondition=4
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline diesunddas123

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 03:18:49 AM »
Is there any chance to get the correct part number for the chassis mount I need to look for?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 05:06:24 AM »
Is there any chance to get the correct part number for the chassis mount I need to look for?
Try this:
Remove the top bolts from both frame brackets, loosen the lower bolts. Align the engine into place and drill new holes into your old plates. Perhaps no new parts will be needed.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments