Author Topic: 69/70 Shelby Fender & Hood Glue Detail  (Read 970 times)

Offline VikingNJ

69/70 Shelby Fender & Hood Glue Detail
« on: April 19, 2018, 04:09:46 PM »
I tried looking for the fiberglass glue detail but wasn't successful finding anything on the forums.

1. Does anyone know what exactly did AO Smith use as a glue for fenders and hood? What was glue?
2. Was it same as fender and hood. It doesn't appear to be the same from what I see from my original parts. Is it still available? If not, what is the replacement glue recommended to use.
3. One last question, the glue used on the fenders to attach top metal frame/brace, what was it. Same as other glue used on fender? Does it still exist, if not, was is the replacement glue.

All ideas and thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
Nils

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: 69/70 Shelby Fender & Hood Glue Detail
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 05:13:31 PM »
The redish brown glue is not available to the best of my knowledge

Some have recreated the look

I have heard others say to try the Corvette crowd

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 05:23:54 PM »
The king of panel bonding is 3M.

I used a 3M 08115 when bonding metal to fiberglass on my race car. I was bonding the metal 'L' of an original 65 front fender to my lightweight fiberglass pieces.

It requires a special application gun. All in at about $125 (the gun is not cheap).

You should go to the 3M site and look up the various bonding adhesives and how to apply them.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 05:37:09 PM »
I tried looking for the fiberglass glue detail but wasn't successful finding anything on the forums.

1. Does anyone know what exactly did AO Smith use as a glue for fenders and hood? What was glue?
2. Was it same as fender and hood. It doesn't appear to be the same from what I see from my original parts. Is it still available? If not, what is the replacement glue recommended to use.
3. One last question, the glue used on the fenders to attach top metal frame/brace, what was it. Same as other glue used on fender? Does it still exist, if not, was is the replacement glue.

All ideas and thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
Nils
I am not sure of the exact trade name of the specific products used at AO Smith back in the day. I am fairly confident that they were all 3M products based on some conversations I was part of with a 3M rep on the subject.  The product used on the hood was a special fiberglass to fiberglass 2 part product 3M sells. It has a brownish orange look. I believe the approximate product is still sold by 3M with a very close tint.  It is painted over with black on a 69 Shelby hood so it doesn't stand out as such . The metal bonding strip for the fenders was a different product again most likely 3M designed to hold both fiberglass and metal. It was typically very dark gray almost black. 3M also sells a modern day equivalent that looks similar. 3M supplied the stripes for 69 Shelby's also so they have a history which also supports the conversation I shared with the rep.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 05:50:47 PM »
Agree with the red oxide sort of color of the hood bonding glue and for fenders (metal strip to fenders as well as bonding the brackets and sections together being almost black.  For the dark gray/black we just found a epoxy body bonding glue in the color the red oxide we didn't do so haven't had to hunt that down in the more recent years.  As Bob mentioned its pretty much hidden so the color may not be as important in the finished product if you choose to use a different color and if you need to
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline VikingNJ

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 11:43:25 AM »
Thanks everyone for your feedback very much appreciated... Will contact 3M and let everyone know what product details are soon.