Author Topic: Are these original K/H rotors  (Read 3341 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: Are these original K/H rotors
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 12:11:18 AM »
Hi Jason,

One thing to remember when dealing with concours parts -- when the deal hits, buy it!

I have the original assembly line rotors which are right at their wear limit. I can turn rotors onsite so they are still my preferred option.

The Raybestos rotors were a really good deal, so I had to get them if my first option failed.

Then I came upon another set of assembly line rotors, but well beyond the wear limit. In the search for replacement rotors I came upon the Centric rotors. These will be my option 2 if the first set doesn't pan out.

But, I had to buy the parts while they were still available. I've often procrastinated over buying parts, but no longer.

My painter has an opening so I'm working very hard on getting the body finished.
I'll get to the suspension after paint.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Morsel

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 06:44:57 PM »
Haha, yes, I bought the same rotors at the same time you did as my backup as well. I have a fully restored set of original Kelsey Hayes rotors that I did, but similar thing, the rotor portion was below spec and was really a little concern about using them. I have the ones we bought on ebay on the car currently but really would love to put the Kelsey's on there instead, so more was curious if your replacement rotors actually worked ;)

Let me know once you get back into it, be curious...

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 09:01:51 PM »
I bought a two sets of the Raybestos rotors a couple years ago and swapped the hats onto original K/H hubs.   They turned out fine - not 100% concours due to the differences in the vanes, etc.  but I'm happy with them. 
Press out the K/H studs with a lug nut on to protect threads, Then you can clean up and gun blue or phosphate the studs before reusing them.
Obviously they will have to be trued up after being pressed together - Mine cleaned up with a small amount removed from each surface.  A good tip is to thread on and torque all 5 lug nuts before truing to mimic conditions as installed on the car.  Also change out the races beforehand.
I was a little worried about possible out of balance issues with the finished assembly but have noticed no adverse effect with them in use on the car.
I think this is a worthwhile effort especially considering few alternatives out there.
Kurt.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 04:43:04 PM »
When I finally got to the rear axle I knew the brakes would come into play. Back there.
But things like fully assembled spindles take up a lot of room. So I started investigating K/H caliper numbers which lead me down "the path".

So I dug into the cleaning and restoring the fronts and after taking my hubs and rotors apart and cleaning them, I found this paint mark on the hub snout. There was no over-spray onto any other parts.

It looks like a faded green.

Bill

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2020, 12:08:05 AM »
I finally got to my other rotor and this one has a much stronger paint mark.
This may identify this as a Shelby assembly since the brake assy is a bit different according to the DSO document.
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2020, 04:47:12 PM »
I finally got to my other rotor and this one has a much stronger paint mark.
This may identify this as a Shelby assembly since the brake assy is a bit different according to the DSO document.

Believe its the caliper that is noted as being "different" rather than the rotor in the paperwork (Add/delete sheets)

Interesting markings. Have not seen them on another pair built at San Jose or any other plant that year.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2020, 07:12:52 PM »
Believe its the caliper that is noted as being "different" rather than the rotor in the paperwork (Add/delete sheets)

Interesting markings. Have not seen them on another pair built at San Jose or any other plant that year.
+1 .The caliper is the C7ZX described part but I do not know what is different about it given I have compared a number over the years with regular Mustang ones and can't see a difference. Maybe there is but it gets by me .that is not that uncommon because the A/C compressor although having a special C7ZX engineering number compares identical to a typical York Mustang compressor.  I have found those same color markings a number of times on NOS service rotors but haven't seen them in the field on cars.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2020, 07:32:49 PM »
I didn't think the NOS service rotors had the square cutout and hole in the hub face.
These did have K/H studs as well as the vane offset on the inside.

Not that I've ever seen an NOS service rotor...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:37:09 PM by Bossbill »
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2020, 09:13:54 PM »
I didn't think the NOS service rotors had the square cutout and hole in the hub face.
These did have K/H studs as well as the vane offset on the inside.

Not that I've ever seen an NOS service rotor...
Bill, I didn't mean to infer that your rotors were later service versions just reporting that the later service versions are the only ones I have ever seen the color markings on. There a number of versions of service rotors. Only the older versions have the contoured snout like yours in the picture for instance .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby