Author Topic: Early 66 Valve cover attachment  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Kingchief

Early 66 Valve cover attachment
« on: July 09, 2018, 12:09:27 PM »
Howdy!  I started to change the gasket under my valve covers.  In removing the bolts, the engine builder [Cobra Automotive] used a lock washer on top of a flat washer.  My question is should the lock washer be there???  A picture of an original [or a link] would be nice.  Thanks again,

Steve

P.S.: my car is 6S406
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:25:54 PM by J_Speegle »
SFM 6S406

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Early 66 Valve cover attachment
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 04:25:19 PM »
First thanks for providing your car number :)

If your going to show the car the expectations right now would be that an early car would have the RBW bolt and the two washers.

This appears to be something "we" need to review and at least discuss. I know that allot of those people read the posts here so this is likely the best way to get the subject/possibility out there with pictures to start that discussion as we have in the past.

Here are three pictures from two early cars close to yours

And two from 6S407. Couldn't get much closer

Have at least six others (unrestored) examples just the same and do accept that some of the cars likely had their valves adjust over the years.  Some have low enough mileage to likely not have had a need yet.

Looking through magazine pictures of the time period I found the following pictures. Notice we're still focusing on early cars - with unpainted valve covers

Wonder if the thought of two washers came from seeing NOS valve cover kits and assuming that they were exactly like what was used on the assembly line.  Just thinking out loud and going through the process

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:29:03 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Kingchief

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 09:03:43 PM »
Yep, I know 407.  Never seen it in person but Cory and I have communicated a LOT since I acquired 406.  He and their SAAC group in Washington have REALLY helped me source a lot of OEM, restored and NOS parts.

I removed the valve covers today and will clean the covers tomorrow.  Then install them per the Shelby American, Inc. "Accessories Installation Manual".  One photo appears to me to just have one washer and was why I asked the question initially.  I shall use the 2 washers for now [one flat and one lock].

Thank you Jeff.

Steve
SFM 6S406

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 08:37:39 PM »
I have a comment on the valve cover bolt/washers for Shelbys.  Since these are all HiPo engines, they require periodic maintenance for zeroing out valve lash because of the solid lifters.  That means one has to remove the valve covers every 10-20k miles, if I'm not mistaken.  Thus, pictures of valve cover bolts and hardware may not represent precisely what was present from the factory. 

Am I off base?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 08:57:25 PM »
I have a comment on the valve cover bolt/washers for Shelby's.  Since these are all HiPo engines, they require periodic maintenance for zeroing out valve lash because of the solid lifters.  That means one has to remove the valve covers every 10-20k miles, if I'm not mistaken.  Thus, pictures of valve cover bolts and hardware may not represent precisely what was present from the factory. 

Yes that does pose a possibility and why I included new cars in the pictures (from magazines taken during the production year) and one example reported as having under that mileage. Do have 65 examples also but want to stay with 66 since that is where the discussion is posted

In most cases people/service workers replace what they find in the first place and if they drop one and don't gather everything the others can suggest this. What we're seeing so far (if they did drop or remove all the lock washers for every valve cover bolt) is that almost every person that did adjust the valve lash did the same which is a bit difficult to take a face value. Just about as likely as having each of the people that adjusted the valves all leaving the center top bolt out on both side on 80-90% (or more)  unrestored cars we have pictures of and the pictures of new cars in period magazines. 

Think it would be more likely from a car guy point of view, that some added the lock washer at some valve adjustment point to keep the valve covers from loosening.  May have been period of either or but at this point just sharing what I'm finding and introducing the findings to start a discussion.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)