Author Topic: Intake Manifold PCV Hose Brass Fitting  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Kingchief

Intake Manifold PCV Hose Brass Fitting
« on: July 14, 2018, 02:25:24 PM »
Hello all,

OK. I have removed my brass fitting for the PCV hose ['66 Shelby #406].  In the photo, it is the one on the RIGHT end.  The one on the left end is a replacement from one of the vendors.  The one in the middle is one I found on a spare PCV hose I had acquired.  Please note the hole sizes.  Two [2] are bigger than the replacement from the vendor. 

My question is: Which one is correct or does it matter???  Does the hole size possibly have an impact on the crankcase ventilation???

Thanks again,

Steve
SFM 6S406

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Intake Manifold PCV Hose Brass Fitting
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 05:50:31 PM »
The smallest hole in the system (intake to the end of the PCV) controls the flow (controlled vacuum leak). Think that theoretically if the hole in the end of the PCV is smaller than the hole in the fitting than changing the size of the hole at the fitting makes little or no difference if its larger then the hole in the fitting is more important and does change things.

Now if your asking which is original and should be used that is a different question
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline OldGuy

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 08:23:53 PM »
Steve, from a theoretical "pure function" point of view, I feel that the reproduction fitting is probably the best BECAUSE it has the smaller hole or orifice diameter.

The aluminum intake manifold, on the GT-350's, left a lot to be desired regarding the porting of the PCV. Unlike Ford's "standard" design of using a spacer plate with the PCV discharge flowing into essentially all cylinders, the GT-350 manifold is ported primarily into cylinder #4 and, to a lesser degree, cylinder #8. This design causes leaner (more air) mixtures into these cylinders than the other six cylinders. This is less than ideal and, over time, could actually cause damage. 

By using the fitting with the smaller hole, there is less air flow than if the fittings with the larger holes were used. I'm fairly confident that said air flow will be adequate and could improve your idle and/or overall engine smoothness. I've played the orifice game (on other engines) to help control the amount of crank case air that is entering into the air/fuel mixture to make the carburetor idle air screws more responsive and controllable.

I hope this information helps and and isn't too confusing.

Frank

Like Jeff has stated: Overall appearance is another issue.

Offline Kingchief

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »
Thank you Jeff and Old Guy.  Very helpful.

Now, "if your asking which is original and should be used that is a different question"

OK, yes, which one is original and should be used?

Thanks again, Steve
SFM 6S406

Offline OldGuy

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 01:34:04 PM »
Alright, I'll step out and say, "use the new/repo one". Unless your wanting the original patina of the used fittings, the new fitting will save you some time "detailing" one of the used ones. After installation, I don't believe that you will be able to tell the difference in appearance.

Frank

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 02:23:38 PM »
............. After installation, I don't believe that you will be able to tell the difference in appearance.

You do have the maker marks to at least consider
Jeff Speegle

Offline OldGuy

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 04:05:40 PM »
Jeff, is the mark(s) visible after installation and hose connection?

Frank

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 05:08:58 PM »
Jeff, is the mark(s) visible after installation and hose connection?

Frank

Yes the area where the wrench would be applied to is visible and often the issue with these since that is where the damage is done using the wrong tool or just heavy handed

Jeff Speegle

Offline Kingchief

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 06:13:38 PM »
Thanks fellas.  I have detailed the one [shown in the photo above as the one on the RIGHT] that has the markings.  Since, as I understand it, the one with the markings might be the original or at least an older version, I shall use it and place the other 2 in my "inventory" for another day!!!

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406