Author Topic: 1966 Shelby Magnum 500 Painting  (Read 1187 times)

Offline dm289

1966 Shelby Magnum 500 Painting
« on: July 19, 2018, 03:18:44 PM »
I am wondering if anyone knows the paint code for the gray paint used on painted Magnum 500s in 1966?  I am not looking for exact concourse, I want to paint the set I have for use on my 66 Coupe.  I have some grey lacquer primer and partial can of PPG DDL9323, enough to do the black out.  I was thinking of painting them with the primer, black paint and then coat with the Matte Finish lacquer clear sold by Duplicolor at the part stores...  any ideas?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 Shelby Magnum 500 Painting
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 05:05:18 PM »
Don't know anyone that has matched the original color and then shared it. Saw a set of NOS wheels last week and they (like others I've seen over the years) are fairly dark with a flat slightly rough or open texture. Looked pretty close to a set of styled steel wheels I had powder coated a couple of years back but that won't help in this situation
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 06:30:59 PM »
I am wondering if anyone knows the paint code for the gray paint used on painted Magnum 500s in 1966?  I am not looking for exact concourse, I want to paint the set I have for use on my 66 Coupe.  I have some grey lacquer primer and partial can of PPG DDL9323, enough to do the black out.  I was thinking of painting them with the primer, black paint and then coat with the Matte Finish lacquer clear sold by Duplicolor at the part stores...  any ideas?
"I was thinking of painting them with the primer, black paint and then coat with the Matte Finish lacquer clear sold by Duplicolor at the part stores...  any ideas?"  I know of a number of people who have done along those lines and it came out nice.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dm289

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 01:21:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies... I will go ahead, I have nothing to loose but some time and minimal money